Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My Adrian Helmet

Article about: Well, I really don't know where that chinstrap was during the war years... BUT... They say if the leather is over 60 years old, you can no longer smell it. I have used that as one of my chie

Default My Adrian Helmet

Hi All,
    Me again. This was purchased from Unique Imports Inc as a WW2 French Adrian helmet. The liner is obviously new and it's been painted green. Should I leave it, or restore remove the paint? Also, how easy is it to find an emblem for the front? How pricey?
    Thanks in advance, again.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Adrian Helmet   My Adrian Helmet  

Default Re: My Adrian Helmet

I'd give a shot on cleaning the paint back on this one, using nail polish remover
    I can't tell you on the cost for a badge as I haven't been on the hunt for one for years now. Shouldn't be prohibitively pricey, say no more than $US10 for a common infantry badge,
    One more thing is that your liner is different to my examples as to not having a liner band for clipping the liner in
    Last edited by reneblacky; 06-15-2010 at 04:28 AM. Reason: added text

Quote by flash developer View Post
    Hi All,
    Me again. This was purchased from Unique Imports Inc as a WW2 French Adrian helmet. The liner is obviously new and it's been painted green. Should I leave it, or restore remove the paint? Also, how easy is it to find an emblem for the front? How pricey?
    I agree with Rene on the paint question. I would try to remove that nasty green paint. Can't do any more harm than has already been done. There are a number of the front plates on e-bay these days as well as liners. You sould be able to restore it to a presentable helmet. Curious as if the original paint is blue or OD.
    Terry

?

Your helmet is italian M16 helmet
    italiano m
    http://www.helmy.w8w.pl/wloski%20wz.16.htm
    The badge is rare, rather...
    Piotrek

Quote by flash developer View Post
    Hi All,
    Flash developer,
    Your helmet is French, I believe it may be M-16 due to the blue paint inside the helmet. The Italian helmets did not have a plate on the front rather they painted their branch/unit usually in black on the front and the helmet itself was OD. Notice the two holes in the front of your helmet. those are the holes to attach the various plates ie infantry, artillery etc.

See attached, the first is a WW1 French Infantry Helmet, 2nd liner, 3rd French Artillery, 4th (Brown) Belgium.
    Terry
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Adrian Helmet   My Adrian Helmet  

My Adrian Helmet   My Adrian Helmet  

Clyde
    ?

Exclamation Re: My Adrian Helmet

Hi again Flash,
    Be careful when removing the paint, and make sure you are outside or in a garage with the door open... it will take time! If you use a twenty dollar ventilator, you won't get a headache

?

Ive been after a french infantry badge, genuine , for months cant find one unless ive been missing them, my helmet has a completely different liner, its cloth and fits onto spring clips inside the helmet,it also has slots instead of holes for the badge

Thank you for your feedback!
    I knew that liner looked strange, now I need a liner and an emblem...

Last question: Does the chin strap look original? It seems original to me as it was obviously NOT removed prior to the application of "unique imports green".

I promise to post pictures after I remove the new paint.

?

I'm stiff - italian M16 Single-drawn shell (like italian M16, french M26) or shell in four elements (like Adrian M15)?
    The chinstrap looks good.
    The blue paint inside maybe original - rare.
    Adrian mod.16 blu horizont
    Carefully!
    Piotrek

This is an Italian WW1 helmet, M15/16 also known as Lippmann. Looking at the liner this is a Spanish reissue. The Italians normaly did not use badges.

After the CW the Spanish Army overpainted their helmets with a layer of olive paint, not this green. Mostly very roughly by hand. This one might still have the original "grigio verde" under the ghastly green!

Try at the rear of the helmet and keep water at hand. Use small amounts of paint stripper and was off immediatly the moment you see it bubbling. It is risky though!

Have a look at Joseba's indispensable site! He shows your helmet, complete with the holes.

Good luck,
    Emile

ESPAÑOL ADRIAN FRANCÉS
    Last edited by emileverbunt; 06-16-2010 at 03:23 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast