Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My USN MK2 Talker Helmet

Article about: Hi All, I bought this as a kid from my favorite hangout, the army surplus store. I found a few things about Talker helmets online but I had no idea it was a WW2 helmet. I bought it as a kid

Default My USN MK2 Talker Helmet

Hi All,
    I bought this as a kid from my favorite hangout, the army surplus store. I found a few things about Talker helmets online but I had no idea it was a WW2 helmet. I bought it as a kid because I thought it looked "cool"(I was a weird kid...).

Anyway, how valuable/rare are these helmets? And how hard is it to find a chin strap?

Thank you all in advance for sharing your wisdom.
    Attached Images Attached Images My USN MK2 Talker Helmet  My USN MK2 Talker Helmet  My USN MK2 Talker Helmet 

Default Re: My USN MK2 Talker Helmet

Many of these are army surplus and not very valuable considering but they do make a nice display. You should be able to find a chinstrap for 15-25 dollars max. on ebay

Thank you MD!

On a side note, I found this article in the Life Mag. archives. Interesting! Never say the Navy wasn't in touch with it's "artistic side"

Someone mentioned this as an "unissued" helmet. How do you know? Just by it's "new" condition, or are there markings signifying a helmet as "issued"?

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My USN MK2 Talker Helmet   My USN MK2 Talker Helmet  

My USN MK2 Talker Helmet   My USN MK2 Talker Helmet  

it's worth around $50 - $75 as is without a strap, with the strap maybe $90 - $100

these are not so common like they use to be in surplus stores

I heard the USN continued using these Talker helmets into the early 90's