Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Mysterious Mk II - possible Anti-Aircraft??

Article about: Hello, I recently acquired the attached helmet from an auction. The original collection it came from had it listed as 'Royal Artillery, Anti-Aircraft, London Area'. It's an early helmet stam

?

Default Mysterious Mk II - possible Anti-Aircraft??

Hello, I recently acquired the attached helmet from an auction. The original collection it came from had it listed as 'Royal Artillery, Anti-Aircraft, London Area'. It's an early helmet stamped 1938 with an early doughnut liner. Paintwork all looks very old and original. Have chased the auction house / vendor but they can't help. No provenance. So no idea how they concluded it was RA / AA. Has anyone here ever come across 'HS' or yellow numbered triangles, if not on helmets perhaps on cloth badges? Or know anything about how AA units were organised? Thanks

Mysterious Mk II - possible Anti-Aircraft??

SMP
    ?

No idea, but it looks to be a very interesting helmet. Please show more

Steve.....just to manage your expectations.....there’s no net remnants on the edges which aren’t in the pic!....some Helmets just don’t have nets.......deal with it! ;-)

?

As commented on the other thread this is posted it has a US look to it, can you show a photo of the liner.
    Steve

?

Hello all, thanks for the interest. I've been away on business but have finally got home and found the time to take a few photos. The American idea is interesting. Looks like an early British liner, but I'm not an expert. Wouldn't know what made it American. On one spar of the liner I can see an arrow pointing north through a letter 'C' with the number 30 below. On another there is S & W Ltd. I 1938. I cannot make out any stampings on the helmet - likely obscured by the rust. Small dent in the top, otherwise in pretty good shape. I'm happy about its authenticity. I just have no idea what it is!

Mysterious Mk II - possible Anti-Aircraft??Mysterious Mk II - possible Anti-Aircraft??Mysterious Mk II - possible Anti-Aircraft??Mysterious Mk II - possible Anti-Aircraft??Mysterious Mk II - possible Anti-Aircraft??Mysterious Mk II - possible Anti-Aircraft??Mysterious Mk II - possible Anti-Aircraft??Mysterious Mk II - possible Anti-Aircraft??Mysterious Mk II - possible Anti-Aircraft??

the helmet is British, it was just the markings that have an American look to them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

That’s defo British....early too......now let’s crack the marking. :-)

I agree, definately a British lid but as I said in the other thread the marking does not look at all military to me particularly with the "3D" shadow to the letters. I am thinking of some industrial / factory concern, possibly sponsored or assisted by the WD (hence the grade of the helmet is apparently military rather than home front), that as well as requiring helmets (because they might be or be close to targets of bombers) needed to differentiate between at least 9 posts/appointments/sections etc.

At the risk of stating the obvious, the black outline to the triangle has clearly been repainted at some point when nothing else seems to be unless the "shadow" to the letters is later.

Regards

Mark

It's a curious one for sure and I admit I have no clue but I would like to know.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."