Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help Identifying helmet from Iraq.......

Article about: He also has it on back to front Cheers, Ade.

sslowered
    ?

Default Need Help Identifying helmet from Iraq.......

Hello everyone! I am a soldier In the US Army currently deployed to Iraq, and while on patrol came across this helmet on a canal bank. I have done as much research as possible and believe it to be a MK II British Helmet. I cant find any markings but, I will be taking a heavier brush to it tonight to try and remove some of the rust. So I will keep my eyes open for anything. It also has an interesting, kinda ornament on the top, kinda looks like a piece of round bread with ridges, and a round dot on top.

I am no expert by any means, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help! cool military

sslowered
    ?

Default Re: Need Help Identifying helmet from Iraq.......

Sorry I forgot to add the pics!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help Identifying helmet from Iraq.......   Need Help Identifying helmet from Iraq.......  

Need Help Identifying helmet from Iraq.......   Need Help Identifying helmet from Iraq.......  

it looks like the remains of a brit tommy helmet but ive never seen a nut like that on one before, if its origanal to the helmet someone on here will know it

?

The best thing is to see if you can clean it up and fined any markers markings on the inside, due to the strange crown on the top of the helmet, it may possible even be a private purchase helmet from the first world war.

Nige.
    "Now, I've designed this like a collapsing bag ! "

Wow! This has just sent a shudder right through me!!!!

My missus's great grandfather died on the River Tigris during the First World War! He was serving in the Royal Navy as a cook, but somehow fell aboard, and was presumed drowned!! His name is on the cenotaph in our local park!

This has really spooked me out!!

Looks like a British Mk.II to me...it has the standard WWII-era chinstrap lugs.

Neat curio for sure.

Dale

hello, the shell appears to be WWII British judging by the type of chin strap pieces that are left on the shell, this helmet would have used the hook on type web straps used on the WWII era MKII helmet, also appears to have a stainless seam around the edge.

I read that during the IRAN IRAQ WAR they still used WWII British helmets, this could be leftover from one of the Arab wars after WWII, the unusual nut on top is probablly a post war modification done by some middle eastern country , they would install new liners and chin straps to fix surplus helmets that were used.

here is a photo at the crossed sword IRAN IRAQ war monument in Iraq, those helmets are supposed to be Iranian helmets picked up from the battlefield, notice all the British shells in the pile? I think your helmet is from that war.
    Attached Images Attached Images Need Help Identifying helmet from Iraq....... 

sslowered
    ?

Thanks Battle Gear for the pic!

I was able to clean it up, but still wasent able to recover any numbers from it. We have since returned to the same area and recovered some more of them. One of them is actually in excellent shape with part of the straps still inside, and with tan paint on it. :-)

Since it is British, any stamps would be in the area of the chinstrap lugs. If it is severely rusted you may not find them. British shells were stamped lightly in most cases.

A Syrian soldier mans a position along the border with Iraq on Saturday, Nov. 10, 2007.

this Syrian soldier still wears a WWII era British MKIII in 2007
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need Help Identifying helmet from Iraq.......  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast