Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need help identifying if helmet is real or fake

Article about: Bought a M1 helmet at a swap meet, he said it was from WW2 but I am not sure because of the liner. And do you guys know what I need to buy to restore the straps for the helmet?

soulcom
    ?

Default Need help identifying if helmet is real or fake

Bought a M1 helmet at a swap meet, he said it was from WW2 but I am not sure because of the liner. And do you guys know what I need to buy to restore the straps for the helmet?
    Attached Images Attached Images Need help identifying if helmet is real or fake  Need help identifying if helmet is real or fake  Need help identifying if helmet is real or fake  Need help identifying if helmet is real or fake  Need help identifying if helmet is real or fake 

Default Re: Need help identifying if helmet is real or fake

its definately not WWII. it looks to me like a vietnam-era paratrooper liner.

i suggest you get your money back if you spent more than 30 dollars on it.

Quote by soulcom View Post
    Bought a M1 helmet at a swap meet, he said it was from ww2 but I am not sure because of the liner.

and do you guys know what I need to buy to restore the straps for the helmet?
    >>>>>>

it's a Vietnam era helmet, I would just add a camo cover and elastic band like this helmet to complete the set.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help identifying if helmet is real or fake  

?

Quote by battle gear View Post
    >>>>>>

it's a Vietnam era helmet, I would just add a camo cover and elastic band like this helmet to complete the set.
    I would take the railroad tracks off the helmet cover. In "South Vietnam, Republic of" that was like asking a sniper to put a bullet in your head. If officers wore any rank ID at all, it was subdued.
    Just a suggestion from an old mans memory.
    Steve

Quote by SteveR View Post
    I would take the railroad tracks off the helmet cover. In "South Vietnam, Republic of" that was like asking a sniper to put a bullet in your head. If officers wore any rank ID at all, it was subdued.
    Just a suggestion from an old mans memory.
    Steve
    hi Steve, I found this photo of a Captain in VN with the bars on his helmet , notice the pin on Capt's bars on his uniform have been blackened with shoe dressing or black paint to make them subdued, but he left his bars on his helmet in the white without any blackening, this was around 1965 - 67

Capt. John Ghere and his UH-1 Helicopter helped locate what would become known as LZ X-Ray, the first major battle of the Vietnam War.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help identifying if helmet is real or fake  

?

Don't be quick to remove the Captains bars. just because it doesn't make sense doesn't mean that it wasn't done. Look for aging marks indicating that it has been on there for some time.

I have a Vietnam era liner almost identical to yours.