Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need Help with M1 Helmet Liner!

Article about: Hi guys I'm a complete newbie with military relics. Today I went to a respected Military antiques store in Toronto and bought an M1 helmet and liner supposed to be vietnam era. The shell is

Default Need Help with M1 Helmet Liner!

Hi guys I'm a complete newbie with military relics. Today I went to a respected Military antiques store in Toronto and bought an M1 helmet and liner supposed to be vietnam era. The shell is supposed to be Navy(painted grey)

My main concern is the liner. I looks like fibreglass at first glance but upon close inspection of the edges where it has worn away it looks kinda like cardboard! The inside has a raised stamp with US 12 in the crown. Has anyone ever seen a M1 liner stamp with "US 12" in it? I couldn't find any other markings in the liner. The headband has some printed markings but cant make them out. The nape strap has markings but someone used black marker over it. I can faintly see the printed markings. Notice the closeup of the chip on the edge and that liner stamp. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Is this a real Vietnam era M1 liner?
    Need Help with M1 Helmet Liner!Need Help with M1 Helmet Liner!Need Help with M1 Helmet Liner!Need Help with M1 Helmet Liner!Need Help with M1 Helmet Liner!Need Help with M1 Helmet Liner!Need Help with M1 Helmet Liner!Need Help with M1 Helmet Liner!

At first look it appears to be consistent with a real Vietnam or later helmet liner. Markings and suspension look fine to me.

Quote by Red Devil View Post
    At first look it appears to be consistent with a real Vietnam or later helmet liner. Markings and suspension look fine to me.
    Thanks I appreciate it. This is the first time I've held an M1 helmet since 1987ish. I never really looked all that closely at the details back then so I'm a total newb. One thing that threw me off was the stamp inside the liner. It only has "US 12" in a raised stamp. No logo or symbol... I have been researching liners and helmets and I couldn't find one example on the internet of an m1 liner with US 12 in it. Any ideas what that "US 12" stamp means?
    Need Help with M1 Helmet Liner!

If I'm recalling correctly, the US indicates a government mold that was given to a contractor and the number is a lot or mold number. I am looking at one of mine now that is marked "US 10" with the early 60's Marmac "M11" code right below it. Are there any other markings on yours?

Quote by Red Devil View Post
    If I'm recalling correctly, the US indicates a government mold that was given to a contractor and the number is a lot or mold number. I am looking at one of mine now that is marked "US 10" with the early 60's Marmac "M11" code right below it. Are there any other markings on yours?
    I cant see any other stamps or symbols anywhere else inside the liner. And the US 12 letters are raised not pressed into the liner.
    edit: I just went and scanned the inside of the liner with a flashlight thoroughly...no symbol or logo indicating a maker. Has anyone ever come across this before? I'm still wondering if this helmet liner is legit?
    Last edited by fullspectrum; 01-31-2019 at 03:59 AM.

Also the shell that came with it has no numbers inside. So do you guys think this liner is american made or foreign from the above pics and the fact that there's no makers mark?

The liner is a US liner, Vietnam
    era

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    The liner is a US liner, Vietnam
    era

Marty
    Thanks Marty...any idea why it doesn't have a makers stamp inside?

If I remember correctly the maker is sub-contractor but not sure if there is a list.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    If I remember correctly the maker is sub-contractor but not sure if there is a list.

Marty
    Thanks Marty. I was concerned because all I found inside was the raised letter US 12 and I looked really well but no maker mark...not even a super faint one. Sadly the shell that came with it also has no numbers inside. The paint at the front inside has been removed. And in the process they removed the numbers. It looks fairly original, green inside with a navy grey over the green on the outside. Any thoughts on the shell?
    Need Help with M1 Helmet Liner!Need Help with M1 Helmet Liner!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast