Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Need to identify strange Blue-green British Mark II, III (and even IV) helmets

Article about: Recently I have come across pictures of British Mark II, III and IV helmets with a strange blue-green paint and it seems that it's not a one-off, given that I've seen the pain on various typ

Default Need to identify strange Blue-green British Mark II, III (and even IV) helmets

Recently I have come across pictures of British Mark II, III and IV helmets with a strange blue-green paint and it seems that it's not a one-off, given that I've seen the pain on various types of British helmet. I am not sure whether they were used by one of the branches of the British Armed Forces, but in my opinion, they are not Police helmets (as in the case of post war British Police occupation helmets). Any ideas? I am posting two photos of helmets which are not in my personal collection. Need to identify strange Blue-green British Mark II, III (and even IV) helmetsNeed to identify strange Blue-green British Mark II, III (and even IV) helmets

?

No idea why this was done, if it is the same colour. A time frame for this must be from the 1950's??
    The Mk2 was used up until the early 50's by the RAF. But maybe some other formation not necessary military used this colour.

The Civil Defence Corps (CDC) were established in 1949, they took a load of war surplus helmets, mainly ex ARP and painted them this shade of blue, so as TinLid states a 50's Cold War thing.
    I have several Mk2 helmets this colour and a MkIV with the CDC triangular flash on the side of it.

?

Thanks for clearing that up, all information about paint,where, and by whom these helmets were used is good to know.

There are masses of reference books concerning German helmets. I just wish someone would publish a decent reference book on British helmets, trying to gain information on them is not easy. Will MC ever publish his book on the MKII? Tinlid, have you thought about putting your knowledge on paper?

The MKII looks like it had something on the front????

?

Quote by Craigb6525 View Post
    There are masses of reference books concerning German helmets. I just wish someone would publish a decent reference book on British helmets, trying to gain information on them is not easy. Will MC ever publish his book on the MKII? Tinlid, have you thought about putting your knowledge on paper?
    I'm not clever enough to put things down on paper, but I know someone not far away, who is.
    A thankless task I think, but I for one would buy his book, even if it was incomplete, which it would be. As with this forum and others, I learn something new every year, and sometimes have to change what I've known as gospel for many years, as new information comes in.
    But then, that's what a second edition is for.
    I just want to put as much information out there on forums, as and when I get it myself.
    You have passed on something new for me to learn today, which makes forums so good, but, it would be nice to have a hard copy, (book in the hand)

Nag nag nag nag....... ;-)

A comment was made a week or so by another member that "several" boooks are in production.......apparently.....