Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

NEED INFO! Belgian Dispatch Riders Helmet

Article about: Can anyone lend a bit of insight to the Belgian Dispatch Riders Helmet (I think it is designated M-38)? I ran across one, this past weekend but wasn’t sure exactly what the value was, its co

Default NEED INFO! Belgian Dispatch Riders Helmet

Can anyone lend a bit of insight to the Belgian Dispatch Riders Helmet (I think it is designated M-38)? I ran across one, this past weekend but wasn’t sure exactly what the value was, its commonality etc. so I opted to leave my money in my pocket and do a little research. Turns out not much can be found on the net regarding these lids or at least that I have been able to uncover. I didn’t snap any photos but the helmet I looked at is very similar to the one posted in the following link.

Belgian M-38 Motorcyclist Helmet by Levior, 1952

I also ran across another one of these, the weekend prior, that had a $165 price tag on it, the one I found this weekend was only marked for $35.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I’m going to be heading out of town on Friday so if I’m going to grab this thing up I need to do it soon.

Thanks for the help.

Russ & Son

Default Re: NEED INFO! Belgian Dispatch Riders Helmet

Hi Guys, personally I feel the lower priced one is much more realistic. $165 sounds very expensive to me for a post war lid with limited collector appeal.

cheers, Ade.

Indeed, however I remember gendarmerie dispatch helmets being sold for much (to me!!) money, I don't recall if they were post war.Gendarmerie used to be more or less equal to the military.
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Oh trust me, the one tagged $165 never even crossed my mind, I'm not even sure how I new what it was, maybe on had passed through here (the forums) recently? The one for $35 is sitting in a military surplus store, I was actually suprised to see it there, and really still had no interest in it but with a tag of $35 I figured I'd better check with the experts to see if I'm passing on something hard to come by or if these things are a dime a dozen. Having not had much lick finding info on them and not a single one listed on Ebay started to make me think these might have some sort of value.

?

You often see them listed as the rare early type British despatch riders helmets, but as you know they are Belgian. Not that collectable as most are if not all post war, unless you are Belgium or into DR helmets.
    If you like it see if he will take an offer on it.
    Aaron

Looks like I made the right decision to walk past the $35 dispatch helmet!