Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 42 of 81 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 ... LastLast

The new ebay money maker

Article about: One of these sold for over £880. The other two hope to !

I think we may be missing the point with some of these items as clearly they are being bought as works of art by dedicated art lovers and not historic items.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WW2-1938-...53.m1438.l2649

- - ------- - -

Advertised on eBay Germany as a WW1/WW2 Wehrmacht officer's cap, this DDR visor - of which almost mint examples can be purchased for under £20, finished at £174.95p for some lucky bidder. Even the most rudimentary search would show this to be nothing more than an NVA cap, and I am astonished that people can be so easily taken in by these trashed caps. Click on to enlarge.

The new  ebay money makerThe new  ebay money maker

?

You would think Harry, if people had enough of an interest to spend good money, then their interest would go as far as research or what do they think they are actually buying.

Talking

Hi everybody, it's been awhile since my last post, for the record here's another one from seller Vongold who seems to have ALL the most "unusual" items
    https://www.ebay.it/itm/ORIGINAL-BRI....c100276.m3476
    The new  ebay money makerThe new  ebay money maker

Never seen anything like it, what do you think?
    All the best
    PaoloZ

2ww German Soldiers Medic's steel helmet genuine | eBay

Another rip off merchant i reckon and asking £700!...
    The new  ebay money makerThe new  ebay money makerThe new  ebay money makerThe new  ebay money makerThe new  ebay money maker

Paolo, re #414, it's always hard to judge the authenticity of an item isn't it....in this and perhaps other cases people look at the seller and pre-judge an item....but the item in this case raises an interesting point that being was there a standard for Red Cross markings? I've seen many variants on Brit Home Front items but not yet found anything which states what the marking should be.....perhaps one for it's own thread rather than dilute this one.......

As much as I despise these sellers of obviously faked up enhanced items, they do sell genuine untouched items as well, though for me I could never buy from them. But that's me.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Composite View Post
    Paolo, re #414, it's always hard to judge the authenticity of an item isn't it....in this and perhaps other cases people look at the seller and pre-judge an item....but the item in this case raises an interesting point that being was there a standard for Red Cross markings? I've seen many variants on Brit Home Front items but not yet found anything which states what the marking should be.....perhaps one for it's own thread rather than dilute this one.......
    Hi Composite, you know every now and then I also have the same feeling, I followed this one, from the pictures looked very convincing, I think it was removed from sale.

Why? One can think anything.

As you say it is difficult to judge with images only, but lets consider this... for years I have been looking at pictures and reels of british homefront and combat photos of british troops, I try to educate myself as much as possible with it, my eyes go first to the helmets always, but I don't remember seeing this particular one or this style in period photos.

We never finish to learn, and I would love to see images with this style.

I believe that since a few years the plague that german helmet collectors know very well, is spreading fast on the MKII helmet collecting field.

There's good money to be made by looking at the auctions on internet, flashed, camo of all sorts, and now, weird, unknown, never seen before, which seem to be fetching the highest, some are gross fakes, but the more money goes around, the better the fakes
    will be, sadly for some items sold by these unscrupolous sellers, we will never know I guess.

On repeated views of the pictures I have downloaded I was probably wrong on having a prejudice based on the seller, but in the end I think alike JerryB and I will not buy from them, regardless.

Please post some pictures if you have them at hand, it would be a chance to learn something, or maybe on a new thread, if you like, with helmets and period pictures other members have have in their possession and will to share with the community here.

Thanks

Sorry Paolo, perhaps my comment wasn't clear....it was more of a general comment about Red Cross-marked MkIIs and an apparent lack of "rules" covering the markings size and positioning. Without any such "rules" EVERY red crossed helmet COULD be correct i.e. "period" and then it's down to the buyer to make a judgement about the items age / authenticity. Sadly (or perhaps that should be "fortunately"!) as I have found with Brit Home Front items, even when there were very clear rules they were often ignored or misinterpreted....which kinda argues against my point.....doh!! :-)

I've learned (from here mainly) that one man's "100% original" is another man's fake....and I also believe that snap judgements based on a couple of photos can be wrong....but once "Mr Big" here (whoever that may be) states his decision ("FAKE!") the piece is written off. I've bought a few written-off-by-others pieces in my time....and they're some of the best bits I have...because I had to SEE them, TOUCH them, and yes, SMELL them. I think we all have an opinion...and that opinion can be swayed by evidence, facts, new ideas.....and as a result we might change those opinions- I know I have over years...bits that WERE wrong become right and vice versa.

One very interesting area is the recent foray in Arabia.....kit is often personalised ("Gucci" etc), it's often marked (names, drawings etc) or badged-up with non-military badges...and such kit is often considered more special...and therefore more valuable....but ANYONE can buy a "Sharpy" pen and most of them can probably write too! ....one doesn't have to rely on high quality water slide transfers and the positioning thereof....just scribble some gung-ho motivatory nonsense on a helmet cover and you're away....that's one more original cover defiled and one more dream item for the next generation....and yet look at the millions of images which have come out of over 10 years of conflict...how many purists have tutted and said "well, THAT'S not as per Regulations"......IT'S NOT!!...but they're wearing it...it just seems to be more everyday than those grainy split seconds on "World At War" when we notice that one Infantryman does indeed appear to be wearing an Airborne pouch! The collectors of more modern day stuff have a wealth of images/data that some of us didn't have without a bus trip to the library to look at ONE book.....but sadly so to have the Fakers!

Re Sellers, as has been said already, a lot comes down to THEIR credibility....I'd not buy items ONLINE from certain buyers...but I have bought from those same people face-to-face and quite recently too....and as Jerry says, it can be good stuff. I guess that takes us back to those two important phrases......BUYER BEWARE......& .....IF IT LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS................although sometimes, just sometimes it isn't!! :-)

- - ------- - -

Sorry Paolo, perhaps my comment wasn't clear....it was more of a general comment about Red Cross-marked MkIIs and an apparent lack of "rules" covering the markings size and positioning. Without any such "rules" EVERY red crossed helmet COULD be correct i.e. "period" and then it's down to the buyer to make a judgement about the items age / authenticity. Sadly (or perhaps that should be "fortunately"!) as I have found with Brit Home Front items, even when there were very clear rules they were often ignored or misinterpreted....which kinda argues against my point.....doh!! :-)

I've learned (from here mainly) that one man's "100% original" is another man's fake....and I also believe that snap judgements based on a couple of photos can be wrong....but once "Mr Big" here (whoever that may be) states his decision ("FAKE!") the piece is written off. I've bought a few written-off-by-others pieces in my time....and they're some of the best bits I have...because I had to SEE them, TOUCH them, and yes, SMELL them. I think we all have an opinion...and that opinion can be swayed by evidence, facts, new ideas.....and as a result we might change those opinions- I know I have over years...bits that WERE wrong become right and vice versa.

One very interesting area is the recent foray in Arabia.....kit is often personalised ("Gucci" etc), it's often marked (names, drawings etc) or badged-up with non-military badges...and such kit is often considered more special...and therefore more valuable....but ANYONE can buy a "Sharpy" pen and most of them can probably write too! ....one doesn't have to rely on high quality water slide transfers and the positioning thereof....just scribble some gung-ho motivatory nonsense on a helmet cover and you're away....that's one more original cover defiled and one more dream item for the next generation....and yet look at the millions of images which have come out of over 10 years of conflict...how many purists have tutted and said "well, THAT'S not as per Regulations"......IT'S NOT!!...but they're wearing it...it just seems to be more everyday than those grainy split seconds on "World At War" when we notice that one Infantryman does indeed appear to be wearing an Airborne pouch! The collectors of more modern day stuff have a wealth of images/data that some of us didn't have without a bus trip to the library to look at ONE book.....but sadly so to have the Fakers!

Re Sellers, as has been said already, a lot comes down to THEIR credibility....I'd not buy items ONLINE from certain buyers...but I have bought from those same people face-to-face and quite recently too....and as Jerry says, it can be good stuff. I guess that takes us back to those two important phrases......BUYER BEWARE......& .....IF IT LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS................although sometimes, just sometimes it isn't!! :-)

Mods...'not sure what's happened above....I certainly didnt type that lot twice!!! :-)

Page 42 of 81 FirstFirst ... 32 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 52 ... LastLast