Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

New Zealand made nPz Brodie & Hardley helmet

Article about: After a while of searching, I've managed to get myself an original nPz, wartime made Brodie. These are getting harder to find, following WW2 in the 1950's a lot of nPz helmets were repainted

?

Default New Zealand made nPz Brodie & Hardley helmet

After a while of searching, I've managed to get myself an original nPz, wartime made Brodie. These are getting harder to find, following WW2 in the 1950's a lot of nPz helmets were repainted and given new liner's and chinstraps for a renewed life in NZ army service. So I am very happy to have found one that is still all original!

The liner is dated 1939 and the shell 1941. Liner's for nPz's were all imported, mostly from Britain and Australia. This helmet means a lot to me, being a New Zealander and having ancestors who served in the NZ Army during WW2, I'm glad to be able to share this one.

Below I also have pictures of what I think is a Hardley Helmet, NZ made Civilian helmets by Hardley Suitcases Ltd.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Zealand made nPz Brodie & Hardley helmet   New Zealand made nPz Brodie & Hardley helmet  

New Zealand made nPz Brodie & Hardley helmet   New Zealand made nPz Brodie & Hardley helmet  

New Zealand made nPz Brodie & Hardley helmet   New Zealand made nPz Brodie & Hardley helmet  

?

Here is the supposed Hardley Helmet, I don't know much at all about these and the Helmet as far as can see has no markings. The construction definitely matches that of what I'd think to see in a civilian helmet by an NZ manufacturer. Interesting anyhow!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture New Zealand made nPz Brodie & Hardley helmet   New Zealand made nPz Brodie & Hardley helmet  

Hi, well done, as you say, these New Zealand MKII helmets in original condition are exceptionally difficult to find. A fine example. Leon.

?

Good to see two different types of New Zealand of helmets.

?

I think the nPz is also a fairly early batch number, looks to be 210 on the rim

Hi Mate,
    Here is my Hardleys Helmet for comparison,Used by the NPS in NZ in WW2.
    The Helmets are lightweight compared to MkII lids,they are also Ferrous in construction,meaning they are magnetic and prone to rust unlike NZ and Australian Commonwealth Steel Helmets. (ive always got a magnet on hand )
    The ones i have,have a T shaped chin strap lug that is welded on and dont go through to the outer rim.
    Square liner bolt on outer side instead of a screw fitting.
    Leather chin strap with buckle,and head pad like WW1 liners (Asbestos fibre ? ) and stamped HARDLEYS.
    Hope this helps you
    Cheers Mick

New Zealand made nPz Brodie & Hardley helmet