Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

O C D helmet help

Article about: James, here is a little blurb on these OCD helmets I grabbed off of the kids web site..... "With the looming fear of war about, on May 20, 1941 the US Office of Civilian Defense (OCD) w

Default Re: O C D helmet help

James, here is a little blurb on these OCD helmets I grabbed off of the kids web site.....

"With the looming fear of war about, on May 20, 1941 the US Office of Civilian Defense (OCD) was established. Its purpose was to co-ordinate state and federal measures for protection of civilians in case of a war emergency. The agency was terminated on June 4, 1945. Some years later, with cold war tensions running high, the new Office of Civil Defense was again establish."

As nobody was actively dropping bombs on the US, Civil Defense was not taken near as serious as it was in Europe. Personal protection was not issued to the general population, these helmets were only issued to those folks that were assigned to a CD unit. US Civil Defense fell under quite a bit a scrutiny, during the war, as it was not a well organized group and the reality is, would likely have been very ineffective if actually called to service.

Like the Zuks over there on your side of the pond, these helmets are a dime a dozen over here but I will admit, I've not come across a nice red one like yours as of yet.

Regards,

Russ

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Like the Zuks over there on your side of the pond, these helmets are a dime a dozen over here but I will admit, I've not come across a nice red one like yours as of yet.
    I live a stone's throw from FDR's mansion in Hyde Park, NY. The Civil Defense program was quite strong here... From what I've heard, it was conducted in such a way to be an example to other O.C.D. branches around the country. I have seen a few red O.C.D. helmets for sale locally, but I've been content with my white one... Maybe I should grab a red one at the next opportunity.

cheers russ for the brief history of the ocd lid ive learned something new so thanks and it puts the collectability and budget price into perspective when you mention our zuckermans i suppose its all about whats available locally and on a side note can i say the kids website is going from strength to strength i did have a look last week to see how things were comming along and yes all the blanks have now been filled ,keep up the good work ive got a new lid to show ill give you a heads up once it arrives my only clue is its pre ww2 and very germanic in design cheers james

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12