Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Observer Corps "Tommy Helmet"

Article about: Hello chaps, what do you make of this one? It is being sold as a unit marked Royal Observer Corps helmet. Now I will firstly admit that I am no expert on unit markings but I was in the ROC!

Ah, now I see that both are in the same position relative to the lug rivets and are filled with miss matched rivets. In which case then perhaps it was just filled in by the owner to hide the rivet holes as a personal choice, which I have seen done before. do they have the same paint on them as the rest of the helmet or have they been painted over? Or does all of it have an overpaint? Sorry but your pics are not the sharpest mate. Have you tried a magnet on it?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Anon View Post
    Ah, now I see that both are in the same position relative to the lug rivets and are filled with miss matched rivets. In which case then perhaps it was just filled in by the owner to hide the rivet holes as a personal choice, which I have seen done before. do they have the same paint on them as the rest of the helmet or have they been painted over? Or does all of it have an overpaint? Sorry but your pics are not the sharpest mate. Have you tried a magnet on it?
    The paint is of the same layer that the rest of the helmet is covered in, also the "extra" rivets have the original black paint underneath the Tan. I would guess the rivets were put into the "holes" at an early stage. I have tried to take a couple more images for you Jerry, but I think I have failed my "David Bailey" seal of quality!! Oh and it's not magnetic!! Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Observer Corps "Tommy Helmet"   Observer Corps "Tommy Helmet"  

?

Default OC Helmet

I saw this recently and thought of this old thread... its another example (possibly the one you were looking for) of a badge marked OC Helmet. To date I am aware of, 2 different OC helmets (including this one) and 4(?) different ROC Marked ones - assuming the one in the original post is attributed to the ROC rather than the OC.

One of these sold very well this week on Ebay...'might've been this one.....

I've seen a number of different (but similar?) water slide transfers on the front of OC lids. As for Leons original question (now 3 years old...so he's probably bought, sold and re-bought by now!), there appears to be quite a few side-flash'd ones about too...some being sold online by folk I'd probably avoid...but there just seems to be too many of them around to doubt the application.

This one was a nice lid......but over £200??? 'worlds going mad!

SMP
    ?

Quote by Composite View Post
    One of these sold very well this week on Ebay...'might've been this one.....

This one was a nice lid......but over £200??? 'worlds going mad!
    Sounds a very fair price to me - provided it really is genuine and WW2 vintage . It is a very nice looking decal.

......that confirms the "rich South" theories.......

?

Assuming its the 'real deal' then I think its a fair price (top end) of what its worth. It is also interesting to see that there is now an ebay listing for "reproduction" OC Decals for brodie helmets (link here) which has now sprung up. Although in comparison to the one on the helmet which has sold, it is clearly very different - even if you ignore the manufactures name as an overlay on the repro one.

As for the more traditional marking of the square with diagonal pattern, I know that you are right on both counts composite, and herewith (below) is a repro one which has been put together by a member of a restored post for display purposes.

....and I guess to finish off, its worth saying that Leon actually purchased a helmet (I think the one at the start of this thread) to complete an original ROC Unifom set up that he has, there is a picture of him elsewhere on this forum wearing the full ensemble! (Link here)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3