Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Obtained Collection Need help reidentifying

Article about: Originally posted in the German Helmet section (did not realize there was a country separation in this forum). continueing posts will be titled "Que's Collection Continued" Hello,

Que
    ?

Default Obtained Collection Need help reidentifying

Originally posted in the German Helmet section (did not realize there was a country separation in this forum). continueing posts will be titled "Que's Collection Continued"

Hello,
    I have been collecting WWI/II items with my dad since the 70s. Most was purchased while living in England and Germany in the 70s and 80s. He has recently turned over control of the collection to me. My goal here is to reacquaint my self with these items (it has been over 20 years since I last saw them). I want to catalog what I have so that in the future when it is passed on to my kids, they know what every thing is and an approximate value of the collection so they just don't toss it out. Here is a few pics of the overall collection:

I would like to start my cataloging with 3 American helmets. I will tell you what I know about them. Please correct me on any bad information. I have been away from this collection for over 20 years. Please add any information you feel would be useful. Basically I'm looking to find out as much as possible on all these Items.

Here we go, first up is a WW I American M-1917 Helmet (Brodie) (Recently discovered it it an American issued British MkI):

I believe this to be from one of the Engineering units, which one I do not know. The stamp on the inside say HS 12. The Chin strap is complete and unbroken. I would like to know if anybody can ping down the insignia painted on it and an approximate value (Best I can find is from 2010 and that puts is around $200?).

Next is a US Army M-1 Fixed Bail Helmet w/Liner:
    I'm looking for confirmation on this one and an approximate vale (in 2010 $300?).
    Seam in front

Chinstraps still originally attached to fixed bails. Liner chinstrap is unbroken and the back of the rivets are stamped United Carr. The liner is stamped S inside a circle above the number 16. Not sure on the sweatband due to the modern looking marking.

Up next is a US Army M-1 Helmet w/Swivel Bails and net ($220 in 2010?) Have two of these.
    Nothing special on this one. Swivel bails with chinstraps originally attached (sewn). Liner chinstrap is broken in two places. Rivets are stamped United Carr. Liner is stamped with an F inside a shield over A 14.

So, can any one add information on these first three? I look forward hearing what you all have to say and showing you the rest of the collection in following posts. See something in the pictures you want to see closer let me know I will do those (or some of them) next.

Q

?

Que, as suggested by others on the other link if you create a separate thread for each helmet it will be easier for others to comment and make it easier to place in the right section for future reference.

Steve.

MAP
    ?

Plus...are these photos' using a hosting site? They are all coming up blank for me (my office has a blocker which usually indicates the pictures are on a hosting site).
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Que
    ?

Rodger that guys will fix and re post from home tonight. I was trying not to have 30 or 40 posts going at once. Now I see that, that is what everyone wants and will probably be easier for me to catalog all the info. Thanks for the tips I will fix these.

MAP
    ?

Having them separate helps not only you (remember to title them correctly ..."German M40 ET 64", "US Fixed Bale M1", etc) but also others as they search the forum threads as they research their own items.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

perhaps as this collection is such a mixed bag ,placing them in the world steel helmet forum is the best option