Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Odd British Turtle Helmet possibly from at field grave?

Article about: Hello, everyone. I've got the offer for this, fairly cheap helmet. Looks to be a ww2 variant to me, from the parts I recognize at least. It has interesting 'four half clover leaves' paint at

?

Default Odd British Turtle Helmet possibly from at field grave?

Hello, everyone.

I've got the offer for this, fairly cheap helmet. Looks to be a ww2 variant to me, from the parts I recognize at least.
    It has interesting 'four half clover leaves' paint at all of the sides and seems to have some kind of cushioning system on the inside that I've only seen on a USN Flak helmet once before. It's quite rusted but there are parts left of the chinstrap. Now... Here is where my suspicions of a field grave helmet come from. The only helmets I've seen with a hole on the top before are helmets that came from field graves. So all I need is confirmation that it came from a field grave, information on the paint, and obviously, originality.

Here are the pictures!

-Bas

?

A WW2 British Mk3 made by RO&Co or F&L, can't help with the grave find or the paint. But if someone has added the foam, it was so they could wear it?

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    A WW2 British Mk3 made by RO&Co or F&L, can't help with the grave find or the paint. But if someone has added the foam, it was so they could wear it?
    Thanks for the confirmation of the lid. But the foam thing, I've never seen a country add foam after re-using ww2 helmets post-war. Not around Europe, at least. I don't know about other parts, but this couldn't have traveled that far.

AIF
    ?

I think you are over thinking things... The foam was probably added so some kid could wear it around and play army as it had no liner

?

That was my thought.

?

Quote by AIF View Post
    I think you are over thinking things... The foam was probably added so some kid could wear it around and play army as it had no liner
    I don't mean it in that way. I don't mean this to be some 'rare usn helmet 1 million dollars'. I'm just putting my thoughts out there and things that I've seen before on original helmets.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    A WW2 British Mk3 made by RO&Co or F&L
    How can you tell? I have a MK.3 that was repainted several times so I can't find the maker's stamp...

?

The rim join, BMB made Mk3's is welded smooth, while the F&L & RO&Co are butted up with welded stamps either side.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Odd British Turtle Helmet possibly from at field grave?   Odd British Turtle Helmet possibly from at field grave?  

?

Anyone that know anything about the paint?

Looks like someone painted it to look like an animal or something?
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast