Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Old Tommy style Tin Hats

Article about: I today purchased from a car boot sale an old “Tommy” type tin hat. It was painted in a very rough grey paint, which I suspect is not original as the paint under the headliner inside is more

bodhranist
    ?

Smile Old Tommy style Tin Hats

I today purchased from a car boot sale an old “Tommy” type tin hat. It was painted in a very rough grey paint, which I suspect is not original as the paint under the headliner inside is more of a stale khaki! It is a bit rusty (who wouldn’t be?!) and the leather is very stiff. I have looked on the web and seen various bits of correspondence, but I still cannot date it very well.
    It has the folded edge, and it has 16 small holes around the bowl of the helmet with some very old bits of string which clearly were used to secure the inner lining. This lining comprises some 4 looped ¾” wide webbing straps attached in eight places to a single leather band which has some rubber pads between it and the inside of the helmet. There are the remains of a “boot-lace” which I presume was used to tighten these webbing straps and the inner lining to stop your head touching the inside of the helmet?
    The only markings I can find are:
    At one end of the helmet (the underside) , is an “M” – might that be the size, or were they all the same?
    At the other underside end I can just make out the letters “V M 5” and, separately a “1”.
    Does this give enough clues for someone who knows such things to tell me how old this helmet is? I’d guess it was either quite early in view of the relative simplicty or else it was a cheap civilian model!
    I’d be very grateful for any assistance.

Bodhranist

?

Default Re: Old Tommy style Tin Hats

Can you post some photos please that will make the id much easier.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Bodhranist, sounds very much like a WW2 British Firewatchers helmet to me? Have a look at this thread of mine and see if yours is the same?

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/world...el-helmet-819/

Cheers, Ade.

SMP
    ?

Here you go:
    A.R.P. Helmets

nice link that, ta...

bodhranist
    ?

Thanks to everyone who confirmed that my recent buy is in fact a Civilian "FireWatchers'" helmet. Much obliged for all your help. It hangs (in its untouched condition) in my summer house awaiting the call from "Mr Hodges"!

Bodhranist