Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions on this British helmet please?

Article about: Hello all, just picked this British helmet up from Gumtree. It wasn't expensive and I liked the look of the sand-finish on the shell. I can't help but being disapointed at the three holes dr

Default Opinions on this British helmet please?

Hello all,

just picked this British helmet up from Gumtree. It wasn't expensive and I liked the look of the sand-finish on the shell. I can't help but being disapointed at the three holes drilled into the rim though. I didn't notice that on the photographs. I read on here somewhere that the holes can denote civilian use. The rough-textured paintwork is old and passes through the holes so I'm certain the holes were not drilled after it was painted. The liner maker on the liner band is slightly obscured by a splash of paint but what I can see is ..ER RAND and 42. The nut that holds the liner in place is upside-down I think and looks later. The rough-textured paint has been applied all over the helmet, both inside and out.
    Opinions on this British helmet please?Opinions on this British helmet please?Opinions on this British helmet please?Opinions on this British helmet please?Opinions on this British helmet please?Opinions on this British helmet please?Opinions on this British helmet please?Opinions on this British helmet please?Opinions on this British helmet please?Opinions on this British helmet please?Opinions on this British helmet please?

The liner material is very fragile and the springs in one of the chinstraps has been overstretched. The paint is too thick and coarse to find the maker stamp on the shell itself. Hmm. Any opinions would be welcome thanks.

Cheers,

Ian.

Default Re: Opinions on this British helmet please?

Hi helmet is south african made by JAGER RAND for the british army in WW2 the 3 holes in the rim were for the neck cover to protect from the extreme desert heat.regards minnie.

Quote by moaning minnie View Post
    Hi helmet is south african made by JAGER RAND for the british army in WW2 the 3 holes in the rim were for the neck cover to protect from the extreme desert heat.regards minnie.
    What Minnie said, SA made and these often go for more money than the British version
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

That's a very nice helmet, one of the rarer types, it is as Minnie described and certainly not a civilian issue. Well done, nice catch!

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

NCA
    ?

Dont be downbeat about it!That is a very nice example and fairly scarce too.
    On Civilian helmets the holes are always near the chinstrap lugs.

Cheers guys, I'd just discovered that fact by going through the forum and finding this from over a year ago.

WWII British MkII Helmet - Tan painted

Well at least it gave me an excuse to put some pictures up. To say I'm pleased about that is an understatement. I just need to try and fix the dodgy chinstrap and it will be tip-top. Has anyone ever seen an example of the flap that was intended to hang down the neck? Also may I ask, did they wear nets on these desert examples?

Cheers in advance.

Pinched this picture posted originally by tinlid from an old thread by Rene. Fantastic photograph.

Opinions on this British helmet please?

Quote by canti44 View Post
    Has anyone ever seen an example of the flap that was intended to hang down the neck? Also may I ask, did they wear nets on these desert examples?

Cheers in advance.
    The flaps were apparently never used, though I did see one for sale a few years back on ebay, the only one I have ever seen. Yes they did wear nets on them I think.

Try some more searches to answer all your questions.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

The holes were put in the rear brim for a flap to protect the neck but they were never used/made. S.A. nets were issued & are very collectable if you can find them.
    Some S.A helmets were sent over to the UK during the Blitz to be tested by the ARP services, but I don't know how many.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions on this British helmet please?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Opinions on this British helmet please?  Opinions on this British helmet please?