Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Opinions needed on this Army/ Homefront Mk2

Article about: After Degens posted his army helmet with textured khaki green paint on the outside, & police blue inside, this one arrived a few days ago. I got it quite cheap & thought I'd keep the

?

Default Opinions needed on this Army/ Homefront Mk2

After Degens posted his army helmet with textured khaki green paint on the outside, & police blue inside, this one arrived a few days ago.
    I got it quite cheap & thought I'd keep the nice early net & sell the helmet on, as it was painted black inside which goes against all logic.
    But having looked at the way the net has left an imprint on the outside shell, it has been on their a long time.
    So the question is:
    Due to shortages of helmets in 1940, did this one get reissued to the army, or more likely the home guard as they had shortages.
    Or maybe it was used on a film set in the 50's or 60's, putting a net on then would give the same result as one being put on during the war?
    Shell is dated 1939, made by F&L, the liner is also a 39 dated one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Opinions needed on this Army/ Homefront Mk2   Opinions needed on this Army/ Homefront Mk2  

Opinions needed on this Army/ Homefront Mk2   Opinions needed on this Army/ Homefront Mk2  

Opinions needed on this Army/ Homefront Mk2   Opinions needed on this Army/ Homefront Mk2  

Well I like it Aaron,the texture looks great,so without going through your Net thread is this the early thick woven type?overall it has plenty of character.

?

Hi Jake, Yes, this is the early woven type net, one of the reasons I bought the helmet. Just didn't expect the helmet to have a nice look to it, even though it shouldn't have the black inside.

Hello mate ,I am well out of my area here but I really like this one ,it almost looks to me like it was a home front issued helmet that has been period "cammo'd" for home guard use , not just the net but the addition of the textured paint. I am probably wrong as I am sure the British helmet experts will tell me but I think it looks period! Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Hello mate ,I am well out of my area here but I really like this one ,it almost looks to me like it was a home front issued helmet that has been period "cammo'd" for home guard use , not just the net but the addition of the textured paint. I am probably wrong as I am sure the British helmet experts will tell me but I think it looks period! Leon.
    Nothing wrong Leon with that mate,I'll too could go with that thought............

Re issued from Warden to home Guard seems most likely. A lovely netted lid.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I connect to this topic
    and I hope I do not make mistakes ...
    I want to show
    this homefront, black, BMB 1943 ... all normal, but
    on the surface is clearly seen
    the sign of the net ...
    can you tell me something
    about it?
    thank you gentlemen.Opinions needed on this Army/ Homefront Mk2Opinions needed on this Army/ Homefront Mk2Opinions needed on this Army/ Homefront Mk2

?

I spoke to someone who knows a lot about British helmets, & he said it probably belonged to an factory home guard unit.
    No doubt during the early days of the war before the home guard became what it did, units were set up by local groups, & probably in mine & your case by a large factory. Hence the black painted helmet, mainly due to the shortage of helmets in 1940 into early 1941.

thanks !