Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

A pair of rimless and rimmed FS Brodies, interesting stamps, and colour question

Article about: Hi All, I thought members might find this interesting. I know there have been several posts about WWI British helmet ‘heat stamps’ and relative dating. I have two ‘Brodies’ one is rimless, a

?

Default A pair of rimless and rimmed FS Brodies, interesting stamps, and colour question

Hi All,
    I thought members might find this interesting. I know there have been several posts about WWI British helmet ‘heat stamps’ and relative dating.
    I have two ‘Brodies’ one is rimless, although in poor shape there is no sign of a ‘tide mark’ in the paint and the other is a fair conditioned rimmed one.
    What is interesting is they are both FS (T. Firth & Sons Ltd of Sheffield, I assume) marked and the numbers are only 4 digits apart FS143 and FS147. However the rimless has a raise F and lowered S and the rimmed has a straight FS.
    I have seen somewhere that the alignment of the maker’s initials may have a bearing on dates. Is this true? I’d like to hear any comments.
    Also I have included a close-up of the rimless ones paint remnants. The base colour appears to be pale grey, and then it has a light khaki, and then a horrible thick top coat of post-war ‘park bench’ gloss green.
    Is the grey the fabled first grey colour which is often mentioned, which was issued along with the early apple green?
    Regards
    Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A pair of rimless and rimmed FS Brodies, interesting stamps, and colour question  
    Attached Images Attached Images A pair of rimless and rimmed FS Brodies, interesting stamps, and colour question