Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Panicking trying to identify MKII (Britsh? Canadian?) JO or JQ 1939

Article about: Hi gents. I'm having a bit of an issue now for a couple of days trying to identify one of my helmets. It was bought for 10USD as a British MKII helmet with net. But I know better.. (I though

Default Panicking trying to identify MKII (Britsh? Canadian?) JO or JQ 1939

Hi gents. I'm having a bit of an issue now for a couple of days trying to identify one of my helmets.
    It was bought for 10USD as a British MKII helmet with net.
    But I know better.. (I thought) and I kind-a knew it was more american giving the lugs.
    But now I'm totally confused..

- Only Markings I could find are JO 1939 (or maybe JQ 1939). I checked the manufacturers, etc, and nothing.
    - Color is a bit strange. Difficult to describe, really
    - Also the chinstrap.
    - It came with a NET somehow attached to the chinstrap lugs.. but anyway it looks new...

Any Ideas? THANKS!!!!!

Panicking trying to identify MKII (Britsh? Canadian?) JO or JQ 1939Panicking trying to identify MKII (Britsh? Canadian?) JO or JQ 1939Panicking trying to identify MKII (Britsh? Canadian?) JO or JQ 1939Panicking trying to identify MKII (Britsh? Canadian?) JO or JQ 1939Panicking trying to identify MKII (Britsh? Canadian?) JO or JQ 1939Panicking trying to identify MKII (Britsh? Canadian?) JO or JQ 1939Panicking trying to identify MKII (Britsh? Canadian?) JO or JQ 1939

It is a Rubbery Own & Co, JO is the batch number, it is a home front helmet with single holes in each side of the brim that have been filled with something. It has a foreign liner, probably Dutch as is probably the paint.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for that info. And when you say HomeFront is British I guess (sorry I'm in Texas, and also have a Civil Defense one).
    I'm trying to see if it has any place in my collection, or maybe if I just tear it apart (I have a belgian MKII, an american Air Raid Warden and a British MKII a bit relic, no liner.
    Or I put it on sale again... and try to get a proper MKI, elusive until now. (BTW Thanks again)

EDIT 1: I will check if the Dutch used MKII's.. maybe civil defense post war... I don't have anything dutch although I lived there 4 years. Maybe this is a first...

EDIT 2: For the color description of dutch CD it well could be.... someone said in other post: a British MKII, early war Dutch issue that was post war repainted, re-lined and then reissued as a Dutch CD Helmet.

Mk.II - Netherlands - The Brodie Helmet and its derivatives
    http://www.cascoscoleccion.com/holanda/holmk2.htm

I will check if the Dutch used MKII's.. maybe civil defense post war... I don't have anything dutch although I lived there 4 years. Maybe this is a first...

UPS.. I dont know how to delete this one, anyway (

?

Looks to be a Foreign or more than likely Dutch refurb of a British WW2 Mk2.
    It's not a No2A with one hole in the brim, they never made them that early (39). Looks like they have moved the chin strap lug or something, & filled the hole. ( a bit weird)
    The net is post war, if not a repro.
    No positives about it I'm affraid.

The Dutch used MKII's, British and Canadian and perhaps others as well in the post war period. They have one of two shades of green, a darker shade for one of their organisations and the other a greyish green like yours. The liner is marked with a metric size 58. I also used to live in Holland for a few years.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panicking trying to identify MKII (Britsh? Canadian?) JO or JQ 1939  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks tinlid.. yes, I mean. No value... but why would anyone move the chin strap lug? ... replace it maybe... anyway... you were great help guys!

Cool. Thanks for the effort to mark it. (and I still don't see it). I'm one of those new-bad collectors. BTW I will introduce myself properly in other place, but actually I'm from Argentina (3 argentine malvinas helmets in my collection) but I lived 4 years in Ireland, 4 years in Spain, 4 years in NL, and now 2 in Texas. And I just started my ... collection... few months ago... and I don't have a lot of money and neither patience so I'm buying cheap and not well researched...

?

Well if you are interested in a helmet & you are not sure about it, post some pictures here. I'm sure someone will let you know if it is ok or not.

Either way if you only paid $10USD I wouldn’t sweat it too much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast