Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Police to warden helmet

Article about: Just done a bit of more reasearch 3 Women were killed in Wexford and 28 people died in the Dublin raid, and it seems that even the presidential home was hit in another raid, so i stand corre

?

Default Re: Police to warden helmet

Just done a bit of more reasearch 3 Women were killed in Wexford and 28 people died in the Dublin raid, and it seems that even the presidential home was hit in another raid, so i stand corrected.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Police to warden helmet  
    Last edited by paddy; 11-24-2011 at 12:15 AM.

?

That' s the bombed site in Wexford, with a police man standing on the right with helmet in hand.

?

Paddy, thanks for following up with this info, it got me thinking why Germany would bomb neutral Ireland, the Wikipedia link below has some theories but it seems there is nothing concrete but most likely warnings not to assist Britain.

Bombing of Dublin in World War II - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers, Steve.

?

Thanks for that Steve, i noticed on that link you provided, it mentioned Dundalk was hit this might explaine the reason, these first field dressings were made there, and while it is not dated it seems to be ww2 periodPolice to warden helmet

Just going back to the bombed photo, notice most of the guys have no helmets in the rubble, and the cop is not even wearing his, this might be the reason, as well why the police helmets were painted green and handed to the wardens, due to short supply.
    Last edited by paddy; 11-30-2011 at 12:05 AM.

?

It does look like these were raids to pressure the Irish goverment to stop supplying Britain. I've done some more searching but there is really not that much on the internet, most of it is related to the North.
    The other thing I noticed about the Wexford picture is that the Rescue workers are all wearing gas masks and the cop isn't, this is probably some sort of standing order for Rescue parties as this was the first raid, but it may be the reason why the don't have helmets on.

If you come across any other pictures with helmets could you please post them.
    Steve.

?

its nice seeing irish militaria

cheers,
    pat

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2