Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Post-war British Mk IV Brodie in Black

Article about: Hi all. Just sharing this recent flea market find. 1952 dated, made by BMB, and FFL III liner (not pretty- once had felt glued to leather). In the research I’ve done, I’ve read that the blac

Default Post-war British Mk IV Brodie in Black

Hi all. Just sharing this recent flea market find. 1952 dated, made by BMB, and FFL III liner (not pretty- once had felt glued to leather). In the research I’ve done, I’ve read that the black variants were used by the Dutch. No trace of another color under paint.

Marking inside shell:
    B Mk IV

I’d wager this paint job is period done, but am open to comments. It’s black throughout interior dome as well ,(excuse the dust/dirt) suggesting a factory paint. Does anyone have any further info or corroboration? Thanks all.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post-war British Mk IV Brodie in Black   Post-war British Mk IV Brodie in Black  

Post-war British Mk IV Brodie in Black   Post-war British Mk IV Brodie in Black  

In my opinion, the black painted MKIV were used by the Police and Civil Defense in the 50s and 60s.

Regards

Quote by OldSteel View Post
    In my opinion, the black painted MKIV were used by the Police and Civil Defense in the 50s and 60s.

Regards
    Thanks OldSteel! In the UK I presume? In my searches today I’ve encountered all kinds of possibilities. Appreciate the comment!

I’m not sure if we ever got to the bottom of black = JUST Civil (in UK) but they certainly were Civil-used in UK. Many are found black on inside and green on outside but it’s assumed these are overpaints.

There’s already a number of threads about these....search British Mark IV.....

Quote by Composite View Post
    I’m not sure if we ever got to the bottom of black = JUST Civil (in UK) but they certainly were Civil-used in UK. Many are found black on inside and green on outside but it’s assumed these are overpaints.

There’s already a number of threads about these....search British Mark IV.....

Thanks Composite. I have searched... I couldn’t find a straight answer lol Appreciate the help, I have done leg work and am not just preying on info.

Ever since I signed up, when searching the forums I only get maybe 5-7 visible results and the rest browser doesn’t let me see more, so I apologize if I missed something..

Exactly MilitariaMatt, I meant just in the UK; actually, as Composite says, I've seen black examples painted green on the outside, but I don't know for what kind of use.
    I have an example in my collection of black ones, inside and outside like yours (below I add some photos), and it seems that this was his original painting.

Regards
    Roberto

Post-war British Mk IV Brodie in BlackPost-war British Mk IV Brodie in BlackPost-war British Mk IV Brodie in BlackPost-war British Mk IV Brodie in Black

well, this has to be the thread with the best photos!