Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Post War Dutch?

Article about: There's nothing especially unusual about this being effectively just a repaint with a (probably) Dutch liner; the Verblifa production did not start until 1953, and before that the Dutch more

Default Post War Dutch?

I picked this up on a whim today (don't usually do that). Checking some other threads, and I'm thinking post-war Dutch refurb? Not 100% certain though. If anyone can say for sure, please do. Thanks!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post War Dutch?   Post War Dutch?  

Post War Dutch?   Post War Dutch?  

Post War Dutch?  

Default Re: Post War Dutch?

Agree, post war Dutch re used, the red frame to the liner with the size in cm's is typical for these.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

What do these run in value? I can't imagine that much.

Looks like a war period MKII with dutch CD repaint but its odd not to have the dutch chin strap and arrowhead buckle so I'd hold off on the final verdict until others chime in.

Russ

Certainly looks like Dutch Civil Defence grey, but a prewar made British shell with a late-war British chinstrap. The thing is though that the Dutch certainly reused British and Canadian surplus for their CD services before the introduction of the wellknown Verblifa copy with the Dutch chinstrap. So, barrring any great revelations I'd be happy to say this is a Dutch CD helmet. A fairly unusual one too, these straightforward repaint/reuse examples are far less common than the Verblifa helmet. Which in itself ins;lt as common as it used to be. Yet another little byway of helmet collecting/history that is deserves more attention than it gets.

See here - Welkom bij Dutchhelmets.nl | Welcome to Dutchhelmets.nl - worth taking ten seconds to register.

Just swap the dutch liner for a British one and you have got a Brit MK.11 home front helmet with a MK.111 chin strap, the first ARP helmets were painted grey they started painting them black during 1939.

Quote by Greg Pickersgill View Post
    Certainly looks like Dutch Civil Defence grey, but a prewar made British shell with a late-war British chinstrap.
    Greg, does it not seem odd that the Dutch would pass a helmet through the process of re-paint and re-lining and then not change the chin strap to thier "safer" signature arrowhead anti-strangulation chin strap?

I've only seen a couple of these Brit/Canadian re-works (mine and another member's on here) and both looked to go through the entire re-fitting process. I guess it may not always be the case and even if so, I guess the chin strap could have always been changed back to the old Brit MKIII type at some point. I just don't see a helmet passing through re-work w/o all aspects re-worked!

Russ

Quote by MySonsDad View Post
    Greg, does it not seem odd that the Dutch would pass a helmet through the process of re-paint and re-lining and then not change the chin strap to thier "safer" signature arrowhead anti-strangulation chin strap?

I've only seen a couple of these Brit/Canadian re-works (mine and another member's on here) and both looked to go through the entire re-fitting process. I guess it may not always be the case and even if so, I guess the chin strap could have always been changed back to the old Brit MKIII type at some point. I just don't see a helmet passing through re-work w/o all aspects re-worked!

Russ
    I have two Dutch re issued helmets, one a British example and one Canadian and both have this type of chinstrap, whilst the Dutch made VB helmet has the arrow head type.

All were bought when I lived in Amsterdam and are unlikely to have been messed with IMO.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post War Dutch?   Post War Dutch?  

Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for all the great replies and conversation so far! Jerry, your helmets are great examples, thanks for showing them! I'm glad I picked this one up. Once I saw it was Dutch I didn't know how to feel about it. Now I'm feeling better, lol. Hope this thread keeps going.

Quote by Bond View Post
    I have two Dutch re issued helmets, one a British example and one Canadian and both have this type of chinstrap, whilst the Dutch made VB helmet has the arrow head type.
    Very good to know Bond, thanks for posting examples of these, I will add this note to my data base. Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast