Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Post your WWI rimless mkI Brodies

Article about: Hey guys lets kick it up a notch for the new year! Here are some gems of mine with some rare covers worked in too. Feel free to add your rimless pups to this thread. Robt. Ps.....most of the

?

Default Post your WWI rimless mkI Brodies

Hey guys lets kick it up a notch for the new year! Here are some gems of mine with some rare covers worked in too. Feel free to add your rimless pups to this thread.

Robt.
    Ps.....most of the covers I got here in St. Louis years ago from old geezers. Back in late 59’s and early 60’s STL was a honey hole for WWI collectibles.... lots of midwest vets! Ah, the golden years. Will say however that good stuff is still to be found around here.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your WWI rimless mkI Brodies   Post your WWI rimless mkI Brodies  

Post your WWI rimless mkI Brodies   Post your WWI rimless mkI Brodies  

Happy New Year.

My one and only WWI rimless brodie reused in WWII
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your WWI rimless mkI Brodies  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

There are a number of threads on Mk I helmets - the biggest collector mistake is not knowing the difference between a true rimless helmet and a helmet missing its ring. Jerry's helmet above was manufactured outside of the dates for the first 100k WD rimless helmets...
    ww1 british brodie?

Some more details of your covers would be great. There are many bogus hessian covers floating around, genuine ones are rare for many reasons as they were easily ruined in the field, disposed of and turned in with equipment etc. But the were also ordered out of service in early 1918 as they had a tendency to get saturated by mustard gas and other contaminants, but I can't put my hand on where I read that. Joe Sweeney and I discussed these a lot and concluded that there is a lot of fakes around but s these were fieldmade, regionally mae and small batches WD made it is hard to say for certain. I have one sacking covered unit maked helmet and over owner named who was a POW and the helmet came out of a small museum in Germany. I have several officers ones but these are far more common and easier to pick out the duds. Oftenpeople confuse WW II covers for WW I, adnreenators don't help the problem either.

I also see you have the very nice CDN 1st Div helmet from the Collectors Guild offerings. That is an exellent example!

?

Most of my covers are unmarked, shrunken, and smell bad. Others have various marks, London makers/ outfitters..... some canvas and rubber companies. Will back track and perhaps show some details when time permits. Many rimless shells got the retro fit with updated liners that included rubber crown rings. My Canadian lid from the Guild is the earliest liner configuration of my rimless assortment. I was hoping to keep this thread just WWI rimless with no later mkII liners.

Robt.

?

Here are (2) rimless Brodies as used by U.S. troops. The top one is gritty grey black, marked to 30th Old Hickory, the other 2nd dv, 17th field art’y.

Robt.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Post your WWI rimless mkI Brodies   Post your WWI rimless mkI Brodies  

Quote by asterperious View Post
    There are a number of threads on Mk I helmets - the biggest collector mistake is not knowing the difference between a true rimless helmet and a helmet missing its ring. Jerry's helmet above was manufactured outside of the dates for the first 100k WD rimless helmets...
    ww1 british brodie?
    Whilst it might not have been manufactured as a rimless, it had no rim by the time it was refurbished for WWII use
    Regards,

Jerry

SMP
    ?

Love all early rim-less Brodies. This one came from a car boot sale for just £5. It is a nearly mint early Type D with its original field-made cover. The factory camouflage is still visible on the shell,

My only WW1 Brodie... This was reputedly recovered from the battlefields in 1924 and was destined to be sent to a museum in the US. There was originally proof of this by way of a mailing label, complete with address and two stamps, but unfortunately I managed to lose this a few years ago. When I obtained it there were only the barest fragments of the liner and chinstrap remaining. I installed a new repro liner and chinstrap - re-using all fittings from the original chinstrap. The camouflage paint is fairly thick, and where it hasn't chipped off from the rim it goes to the very edge, so I am assuming that it is an original rimless helmet. The rim is certainly much narrower at the front and rear than it is at the sides. The stamp on the underside of the rim might be HS 75, but it is very difficult to make out. The condition of the shell is remarkably good considering it had lain on the battlefields for six years or more. I have tried to photograph the stamp, but it does not show up at all well with the camera - although it is easier to read with the naked eye.

Post your WWI rimless mkI BrodiesPost your WWI rimless mkI BrodiesPost your WWI rimless mkI Brodies

?

Thanks for adding on gents, lovely examples!

Robt.

[QUOTE=asterperious;1806653]There are a number of threads on Mk I helmets - the biggest collector mistake is not knowing the difference between a true rimless helmet and a helmet missing its ring. Jerry's helmet above was manufactured outside of the dates for the first 100k WD rimless helmets...
    ww1 british brodie?

I have seen the thread you linked to and the same information on another forum where I assume you copied (?) it from but where is the source information for this derived from?

Also makers like Hadfields are in production for 3 years, can the batch numbers be dated?

I have a H/S 13 (as well as the HS 252 I showed above), what date is that, it is a rimless now but....
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast