Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Question about my "DR" Helmet

Article about: I picked this up along with the WW1 German helmet that I posted in an other thread. I know little about this sort of helmet, I know the proper DR Helmet had the leather liner with ear covers

?

Many thanks Dean it will be a top shelf item in my collection and I am very happy to give it a new home .

Regards Mark
    Always on the look out for WW II Canadian Helmets and Cam nets to add to my collection.

Found a Canadian Mk II Medics Helmet and yes I know they are about as rare as hens teeth !!!!!

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Many thanks Dean it will be a top shelf item in my collection and I am very happy to give it a new home .

Regards Mark
    It sounds like you and Dean have done a deal, you lucky dog Mark and very good of you Dean to move it on.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I consider my self very lucky Jerry as I have been on the hunt for a RAC Mk I for some time now and Dean was very gracious to sell it to me .
    It would be wonderful to be able to tie its origins to a Canadian unit but regardless there is excellent documentation that supports these were used from about mid 1943 an on wards by the R.C.A.C.

Regards Mark
    Always on the look out for WW II Canadian Helmets and Cam nets to add to my collection.

Found a Canadian Mk II Medics Helmet and yes I know they are about as rare as hens teeth !!!!!

?

You know, in many cases I would rather a piece go to a good home rather than have it put away here, I have far to many good items just in boxes or bins in the basement that need better homes, and I am getting around to that as I sort stuff in the basement.
    I remember 3 years ago, I had a mint WW2 Canadian Camo net for a truck or gun, it was the very rare type that had the small "holes" not the larger ones, same size as the helmet nets.
    I had a guy offer me far more than it was worth, however I knew he would cut it up for helmet nets, and I wanted this piece to stay in one piece, I took FAR less for it from a fellow that was rebuilding a WW2 Canadian truck, that way I knew it would be used for it's proper purpose.

Many think I was stupid for doing that when I could have made more money from it selling to the other guy..sorry money is not everything all the time, it got a good home!!!

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

?

I can not agree more Dean I have given many items away to fellow collectors sold and or traded items and have taken a loss at times just to see it go to a good home were it will be appreciated my hats off to you sir you are a gentleman.

Regards Mark

?

A hard to find Mk1 HSRAC, but it does look to be repainted, if the colour of the inside is anything to go by.
    There seems to be paint on the lining securing nut & bolt too, if you could take pictures out side in daylight it might be easier to tell. As the flash can distort things.
    BMB made all of the P-types as far as I know, the difference was only in the steel rim for the HSDR & HSRAC, while the HSAT had a non magnetic rim.
    Your Mk3 chin strap is the correct type for this helmet, or maybe the Mk2 also.
    What other gems are hiding in your basement?

?

Well I use a 10 year old camera, and I am not all that great with computers. I still use maps and not GPS, I have a flip phone that's a few years old...not one of those smart phones...so I guess I am what is known as old school. So if the photos don't look all that good, then you know the reason, I do know a bit about helmets, and this one ( the shell at least) has not been messed with.
    You guys REALLY know your stuff!!! I guess when you are into one thing, you can really know it, me I just like Military things, I never check markings or things like that...Maybe I do have some rare bits on my helmet shelf...to me they are all the same unless there is a badge on it.
    I have 6 WW1 German Helmets and 6 WW1 Canadian/British helmets, I cannot tell you if one of the German lids is 1916 or 17, it does not matter to me... I just like them if they are right, same goes for my WW1 Canadian/British Helmets, I don't care about makers ect.
    I guess that goes for all my Military stuff, had a couple of guys come over last week to pick up an unissued Muzzle brake for a 6 pounder... they found Bren Carrier tools in a bin I had, yes I knew the tools were WW2 Canadian issue, but I never checked the markings ect...they were very happy with the prices, regardless of what they were worth...I knew what I had in them, and what I needed to get out of them, guess I could have asked for more, had I done more research...but it does not matter to me. OH Damn on a tangant again.

I probably have some unknown rare stuff on my shelves that I don't know about. I do have some rare stuff I DO know about and have to sort out
    I guess that's why so many people want to come to my house and go thought the stuff. I do let some do that, but unless I know you..then not!!!

Sorry for the tangent

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

?

Aaron your comments on the exterior paint of the shell got me thinking a little bit I seem to remember a couple of references to a variation being painted a sand textured dark charcoal grey as I did not have any of my reference material with me I could not be positive though .
    Upon arriving back North a few hours ago I have started to dig a little deeper and have found one small bit of info in Lucy's book Tin Lids on page 27 that does state the exterior was painted as such I am thinking there is one or two more places I have read this before so it will interesting to investigate it a little further and take some day light photos upon it's arrival.

Regards Mark

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12