Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question about my "DR" Helmet

Article about: I picked this up along with the WW1 German helmet that I posted in an other thread. I know little about this sort of helmet, I know the proper DR Helmet had the leather liner with ear covers

?

Default Question about my "DR" Helmet

Question about my "DR" HelmetI picked this up along with the WW1 German helmet that I posted in an other thread.
    I know little about this sort of helmet, I know the proper DR Helmet had the leather liner with ear covers.
    Does anyone know what this may have been used for?

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Question about my "DR" HelmetQuestion about my "DR" HelmetQuestion about my "DR" Helmet
    Last edited by CampX; 02-15-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Hello CampX,

This is a nice war time RAC helmet. It is a helmet with the same shell as the paratrooepr en the Despatch Riders helmet. These were used by the armoured troops aboard their vehicles. Good war time colour. The helmet stayed in use into the eighties. With the Royal Navy and armoured troops, albeit with a different liner.

Cheers,
    Emile

Very nice catch! Pre 1944 shell and early elastic chinstrap. Really, really nice original, non-refurbished condition. Is the liner dated?

?

A very nice helmet indeed Dean
    Helmet ,RAC,Steel Mk I (Helmet, Steel, No. 4 ) the helmets Canadian Designation reference number was (1A19120) the R.C.A.C were first issued these in and around July of 1943 but were some what unpopular with the lads In Italy and NW Europe as there resemblance to the Fallschirmjaeger M-38 was quite striking.

Regards Mark

A nice pick up Dean, as the others have stated, war time tankers helmet. I used to have two -one post war 53 dated- but stupidly parted with them many years back.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

The liner is Dated 1942, I have added the best photo that I can of the liner markings.

Thank you for the comments, after I got home and relized it was not a DR Lid, I thought I had bought a "dog"
    You guys are making me happy.

Thanks again

Dean O

?

Dean I would give that Old Dog a home any day

Regards Mark K

Monetarily, I would value this at well above the standard DR helmet, which are relatively common, especially compared to a wartime unmolested RAC. Sadly, many of these have been reworked into para helmets.

?

IMO you are 100% correct unmolested war time examples are extremely hard to come by and it was not just do to the fact they were reworked as para helmets one must remember that the RAC Mk I had a very long service life as mentioned by Emile and a good many were post war retro fitted with new liners and repainted .

Regards Mark

?

When I was looking online at these, I did not find one with this colour chinstrap, I saw lots with the green coloured chinstrap.
    I am happy to say that it has a good home where it will be displayed instead of put on a shelf in my basement with these ones

Dean O
    Ajax Canada

Question about my "DR" Helmet

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast