Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Question about what should have been a 'junk' M1 helmet.

Article about: I bought an M1 helmet for cheap on eBay with the idea of re-corking and repainting it to look like new issue. I'm new to the idea of restoring, and wanted something to practice with. When it

?

Default Question about what should have been a 'junk' M1 helmet.

I bought an M1 helmet for cheap on eBay with the idea of re-corking and repainting it to look like new issue. I'm new to the idea of restoring, and wanted something to practice with. When it arrived, and I started to clean it up a little, it appears to be a Schlueter with a front seam, and a steel (not stainless) rim. I had thought that the steel rim and rear seam happened at the same time. Is this something I just need to leave alone and respect the history, or is it a candidate for experimentation as a 'junk' helmet. I'm still learning.Question about what should have been a 'junk' M1 helmet.Question about what should have been a 'junk' M1 helmet.
    Regards,
    Greg

(note to self to figure out why it keeps rotating images 90 degrees.)

MAP
    ?

It looks mighty fine the way it is to me. I would never touch it. It looks to be in decent shape.

Note: I'm looking at this from a small cell phone so happy to be proven wrong.

Can you give is better shots of the webbing and bales.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The steel rim was introduced in Oct of 44 and the rear seam was introduced in Nov of 44.
    Nice find, I would leave it alone and Great eye concerning the seam and the rim, I believe you have a helmet that was manufactured at the end and beginning of a change over.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

yep...agreed...lay off the cork and the spray paint and spend the money on a shelf! :-)

?

Nope! Don’t do a thing to that one, Greg!

You have a fine, honest example there...
    You are spot on when you say you should respect its history.

If you want one to experiment with, I’d pick one up that has already been messed about with. There are, sadly, far too many in circulation that have suffered such clumsy and unnecessary attentions. Pick up a bad one and make a better job of it.

All the best and congratulations on your new, lovely, honest, un-messed-about-with M1.
    Bob

All said here, leave it alone, grab a decent liner, display stand and job done.
    below is a link to a refurb i did, it arrived from France with a gastly horrible paint tone
    i still have here today

M1 Schuleter refurb

?

I'm posting pictures of the bales and webbing. I'm assuming that the webbing was replaced at some point since it looks pretty good, but if it was replaced, why are the buckles rusty?Question about what should have been a 'junk' M1 helmet.Question about what should have been a 'junk' M1 helmet.Question about what should have been a 'junk' M1 helmet.

Anyway, thanks for the information guys. I have a couple of non-US helmets that this will look nice next too. (Well, yes, I did buy an M1 restored as a 506 PIR that's on a shelf. Don't judge me. )
    Last edited by copegr; 10-08-2018 at 07:53 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

?

Nothing wrong with the chinstrap either... it is all as it should be.
    Nice and original.
    Perhaps the only ‘attention’ needed would be a very careful application of a rust inhibitor on the buckle hardware (taking great care to mask the webbing itself, of course), though I cannot recommend any particular brand or type, as this is not yet an operation I have had to perform.
    I am sure some of the more experienced M1 collectors, above, can advise.

Cheers,
    Bob

Perfect webbing for a late Schlueter and a not common shell being a front seam steel!
    Here's a strap example from mine.