Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Question.....British 1942 helmet with Mk III stamps

Article about: G'day, I picked up a British/Aussie helmet shell, looks nothing like a MK III its the traditional tommy helmet. It has no liner and has been painted gold by he former owner as a lamp shade,

?

Default Question.....British 1942 helmet with Mk III stamps

G'day,

I picked up a British/Aussie helmet shell, looks nothing like a MK III its the traditional tommy helmet. It has no liner and has been painted gold by he former owner as a lamp shade, but where the chinstrap lugs on the inside of the helmet are is the date 1942 with MKIII stamped into each one. It also has an ink broad arrow dome stamp R.^A.

Any thoughts on this????? I as going to strip back the gold paint and clean her up a bit and I have no real knowledge on these helmets......

Default Re: Question.....British 1942 helmet with Mk III stamps

It's a MkII...I think it was the Aussies who stamped the chinstrap lugs so there's nothing to worry about. I have a scan of the lug differences somewhere...will post when I find it.

?

Cheers for that mate, It was part of a "trench art" lamp, it a Vietnam era 105mm shell with the helmet as a lamp shade. Though it is rather badly painted in gold paint, so I may strip it back, clean it up and respray it and put it back together! only cost me AU120 bucks, bit of a curiosity. I have a relic Aussie WW2 helmet I found at an airfield near darwin and never noticed the markings till i had a good look at it, it too is marked "Mk III 194_" a bit rusted but its there, just never seen a dome stamp before.

Thanks again!

G;Day Mate,
    Its a Mk II Helmet and the chin strap lugs are MkIII.The Lugs developed quicker then the shells did.In case you dont know,Aussie Helmets dont have the Steel band around the rim,dont know about the Dome stamp,there are so many letter varients.Hope this helps
    Cheers Mick

?

Thanks Mate,

I know bugger all about Allied lids, I mainly collect German.

Thanks for your help!!!!

?

I just didnt want to go ahead and strip the gold paiont off if it was some rare and unusual lucky find!!!! Sounds like a run of the mill standard issue helmet.

Quote by qotd View Post
    I just didnt want to go ahead and strip the gold paiont off if it was some rare and unusual lucky find!!!! Sounds like a run of the mill standard issue helmet.
    No probs buddy,

?

Hi,
    It's probably the chin strap securing lugs that are the MkIII type.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Question.....British 1942 helmet with Mk III stamps   Question.....British 1942 helmet with Mk III stamps  

?

Thanks for the pics mate!!!

You wouldnt believe it though, stripped the gold paint off and as I was doing it I noticed painted on the helmet A.R.P....Air raid protection! I very quickly washed alll the stripper off and was able to save the markings! I have masked them off and will have to repaint the helmet black, but leaving the original markings showing....Amazing what one finds when cleaning old helmets!