Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

question for the expert on canadian ww2 helmet

Article about: Hello ! i just acquire a ww2 Canadian steel helmet for 21\\$ my question or should i say my 3 question are 1:the color of the helmet now is a dark green but on some spot we can see brown paint

Default question for the expert on canadian ww2 helmet

Hello !
    i just acquire a ww2 Canadian steel helmet for 21$ my question or should i say my 3 question are
    1:the color of the helmet now is a dark green but on some spot we can see brown paint it's does not look like rust you will see by the picture that it had been repaint for sure so what was the original color of those helmet in 1941( as the marking is G.S.W. MK1 1941)

2:The liner inside with that round cork in the bottom is it original ? it looks so new ( cork part at least) the liner marking is 7 1/2 V.M.C.
    1 1941

And finally the screw on top and it's a washer inside look too new to be period what were suppose to be there originaly ?
    And i just realise that they have put on a us M1 chinstrap if i am not wrong
    Should i leave it like that or try to take out some layer of paint?
    Thanks for the answer
    Frenchy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture question for the expert on canadian ww2 helmet   question for the expert on canadian ww2 helmet  

question for the expert on canadian ww2 helmet   question for the expert on canadian ww2 helmet  

Default Re: question for the expert on canadian ww2 helmet

Hi Frenchy, the helmet itself is original. All the paint appears good; it has simply been repainted during it's service life. The helmets started off as "Service Brown" in colour. An olive green overpaint is fine.

The liner has been newly fitted. It should not have the cork and the bolt is new. The original "X" shaped pad is missing.

I think the liner is OK. These are reproduced nowadays.

Here is a pic of mine, by the same maker. Note the colour and chinstrap.

Cheers, Ade.
    Attached Images Attached Images question for the expert on canadian ww2 helmet 

Thanks for the answer Ade in fact after reading your post i decided to take out the liner to see what was about that cork and i found the x shape pad glue under the cork so i took out the cork and place back the x shape pad and screw it up again the previous owner must have fix that cork due to the screw they used it's way too long .
    Now that everything is in place i feel like the liner doesn't feel right in there is it me or the liner is too big for the shell ?
    When i look at yours the liner sit well below the the metal part to attach the chinstrap .
    Thanks
    frenchy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture question for the expert on canadian ww2 helmet  

Hi Frenchy, that looks better, but I agree the liner is too big for the shell.

Cheers, Ade.