Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

RAC 1940 helmet

Article about: A friend bought me this Picture post because of the picture on the front. It's dated October 25 1941.

?

Default Re: RAC 1940 helmet

A friend bought me this Picture post because of the picture on the front. It's dated October 25 1941.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAC 1940 helmet   RAC 1940 helmet  

Wow Great shot Thank You

Here are some more images of my HCRAC helmet. I believe that it's British - I can find no Canadian marks on it. It's a Khaki colour as opposed to green and I didn't realise but it is a large size (for a WW2 helmet), I guess around a 7 1/2. It has what appears to be glue residue on the top, it has obviously been on there for years as it is solid - if anybody has any ideas about removing it please let me know (Don't worry I've had it for 15-20 years I'm not going to anything stupid with it now!)
    I have also bought an RAC helmet like Rene's from Ebay for the grossly expensive price of £50! Unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet (next day delivery my arse!)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAC 1940 helmet   RAC 1940 helmet  

RAC 1940 helmet   RAC 1940 helmet  

Attached Images Attached Images RAC 1940 helmet 

?

The way that stitching goes around the leather sweat band I'd say it was British, there should be an ink stamp on the inside with the makers name, but I guess it's rubbed away.
    Neat helmet
    Aaron

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    Here are some more images of my HCRAC helmet. I believe that it's British - I can find no Canadian marks on it. It's a Khaki colour as opposed to green and I didn't realise but it is a large size (for a WW2 helmet), I guess around a 7 1/2. It has what appears to be glue residue on the top, it has obviously been on there for years as it is solid - if anybody has any ideas about removing it please let me know (Don't worry I've had it for 15-20 years I'm not going to anything stupid with it now!)
    I have also bought an RAC helmet like Rene's from Ebay for the grossly expensive price of £50! Unfortunately it hasn't arrived yet (next day delivery my arse!)
    Deffo British as it has the WD stamp Thanks for posting

My RAC helmet turned up today, it was a nice surprise to see that this one was also a relatively large size (approx 7 1/4). Unfortunately there are no date markings that I can find inside, it is a little misshapen but otherwise great condition. As stated it was an eBay purchase for £50, a little more than I usually like to spend but thought this was something a little rare I don't know what the current values are but I think I did alright. Interestingly the seller was one of those high street pawn shop places selling the usual electrical junk and they didn't know what they had.

?

I love it You can't get better than that. These helmets are hard to price, there really rare & quite a few people don't know what they are. But there not that high up on someones list to collect, Yours is all there with the scrum, & have seen these priced up to £175 which is a bit over priced.
    If the paper label is not present have a look to see if there is an ink stamp on the inside leather sweat band, the top letter donates the year.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAC 1940 helmet  

Found the stamp - just can't work out the date letter unfortunately!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAC 1940 helmet  

?

Has anyone got a list of the letters for the war years, I know there's an P, N, O, maybe an R if I remember rightly.

Quote by Grimebox View Post
    My RAC helmet turned up today, it was a nice surprise to see that this one was also a relatively large size (approx 7 1/4). Unfortunately there are no date markings that I can find inside, it is a little misshapen but otherwise great condition. As stated it was an eBay purchase for £50, a little more than I usually like to spend but thought this was something a little rare I don't know what the current values are but I think I did alright. Interestingly the seller was one of those high street pawn shop places selling the usual electrical junk and they didn't know what they had.
    Yep a beauty there, I would have paid £50 Thanks for posting
    Last edited by reneblacky; 09-04-2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: added text

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast