Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

RAC Helmet.

Article about: Hi Fellow Collectors here is an RAC Mark 2 or 3 ? from my collection. I picked this one up from a local surplus a few years ago, as it appears in the photo's, unfortunately the liner is in a

?

Default RAC Helmet.

Hi Fellow Collectors here is an RAC Mark 2 or 3 ? from my collection.

I picked this one up from a local surplus a few years ago, as it appears in the photo's, unfortunately the liner is in a poor condition, but it does have a plastic chin cup added, which is obviously not a standard feature, it is possible from memory that this helmet was previously owned by a Royal Marine Commando, I know these were worn in the Falklands conflict. Regards Opex.

RAC Helmet.
    RAC Helmet.
    RAC Helmet.
    RAC Helmet.
    RAC Helmet.

You are correct in saying the RAC helmets were used by the Royal Marines during the Falklands conflict, i understand they were also used by Royal navy gun crews until about 1990!...

?

The shells with the rivet for fixing the liner were Mk2's, but with more up to date liners whether they were then classed as a Mk3 not sure.

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    You are correct in saying the RAC helmets were used by the Royal Marines during the Falklands conflict, i understand they were also used by Royal navy gun crews until about 1990!...

Thanks Gunny, I have seen pictures of RN gunners wearing these on-board ship , I'm a bit disappointed the liner is in such a terrible state , the gaffer tape does seem to be holding it all together though !!!

Thanks as ever

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    The shells with the rivet for fixing the liner were Mk2's, but with more up to date liners whether they were then classed as a Mk3 not sure.

Thanks tinlid I appreciate your comments and the confirmation, I was not to sure if model would be classed as a Mk3.

Quote by Opex View Post
    Thanks Gunny, I have seen pictures of RN gunners wearing these on-board ship , I'm a bit disappointed the liner is in such a terrible state , the gaffer tape does seem to be holding it all together though !!!

Thanks as ever
    Even with the damaged liner it's an interesting helmet to have!...

?

Seeing they offer very little ballistic protection it seems a strange choice for Marines.

?

Here's a couple of pics of the helmet in use.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAC Helmet.  
    Attached Images Attached Images RAC Helmet. 

?

Yes used by the Navy for many years as previously discussed where a lower degree of protection was required.