Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

RAC helmet help

Article about: ive owned this mk11 royal amoured corps helmet for a while now but hope to learn more about it ,firstly id really like to date the shell and the possible maker so i need pointers on where to

?

Very nice example James, I really like the period camo cover and netting any idea's if it is a P68 hood or just some DPM cloth, overall a very collectable helmet, I like it lot

glad to see you here opex i always enjoy a bit of further reasearch on a particular helmet from the shelf , i know your pretty clued up on camo so in your opinion as this being 68 pattern will do for me ,i cant tell the subtle differences between patterns as for the material used i reckon your spot on with a spare piece of cloth as opposed to a hood ,the fit is overlapped and held with gaffa tape in two area's and the edge is raw with no apparent double fold along the edge as would be found on a hood ,thanks for your great input ,james
    Regards James

?

Quote by James C View Post
    glad to see you here opex i always enjoy a bit of further reasearch on a particular helmet from the shelf , i know your pretty clued up on camo so in your opinion as this being 68 pattern will do for me ,i cant tell the subtle differences between patterns as for the material used i reckon your spot on with a spare piece of cloth as opposed to a hood ,the fit is overlapped and held with gaffa tape in two area's and the edge is raw with no apparent double fold along the edge as would be found on a hood ,thanks for your great input ,james
    Hi James thanks I do visit here too much as I do not have many British Helmets of this era. I would assume the material to be P68 and was probably cut from a smock, I really like this helmet a lot and it's character and to use an often (over)used phrase "if only it could talk", great iconic Helmet buddy

?

Hi James, here's my one and only rather sad looking RAC, the liner as can be seen is pretty rough, but I like the plastic chin cup addition, I bought this one from a dealer many years ago and it was described as a Royal Marine Pattern, not sure if there is any provenance behind this description but I bought it in a city where two RMC barracks are based

RAC helmet help
    RAC helmet help
    RAC helmet help
    RAC helmet help
    RAC helmet help
    RAC helmet help
    RAC helmet help
    RAC helmet help
    RAC helmet help

thank you opex for showing your superb example it certainly oozes character and most certainly issued use very interesting to see the shell stamps too and the chin cup is very french f1 in style i too have a very similar style chincup on a battered old mk6 as you can see ive added a pair of tinted goggles ive had knocking about to finish off the display RAC helmet helpRAC helmet help
    Last edited by James C; 06-04-2014 at 06:16 PM.
    Regards James

?

Hi James, here's my one and only rather sad looking RAC, the liner as can be seen is pretty rough, but I like the plastic chin cup addition, I bought this one from a dealer many years ago and it was described as a Royal Marine Pattern, not sure if there is any provenance behind this description but I bought it in a city where two RMC barracks are based

Hi Gary I agree a terrible example so I will take it off your hands and dispose of it for you if you would like no problem my standards are not quite as high as yours

Regards Mark

?

Quote by James C View Post
    thank you opex for showing your superb example it certainly oozes character and most certainly issued use very interesting to see the shell stamps too and the chin cup is very french f1 in style i too a very similar chincup on a battered old mk6 seen here next to my rac helmet as you can see ive added a pair of tinted goggles ive had knocking about to finish off the display RAC helmet helpRAC helmet help
    Hi James, many thanks and yes I seemed to remember seeing a chin-cup like that and of course it was one of yours !, I am very curious if this was a common feature?
    The biggest downfall to my RAC is the liner which as can be seen is missing the oilcloth parts and the star cross is practically held together with tape, but is is still surprisingly comfy on the head, I would like to replace the liner one day but 50's ( let alone 40's ) are very scarce and pricey too

?

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post

Hi Gary I agree a terrible example so I will take it off your hands and dispose of it for you if you would like no problem my standards are not quite as high as yours
    Regards Mark

LOL..Hi Mark thanks for looking, I must admit I am pretty anal when it comes to Helmets, the liner has always let this example down for me, but as I wrote in James' reply I would like to replace it. But this is how I bought it so I suppose I had better leave it as it is

?

Hi Gary to me it all adds credence to the helmet being an issued and used example I rather like it my self but I am a sucker for field worn and or issued items.

Regards Mark

?

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Hi Gary to me it all adds credence to the helmet being an issued and used example I rather like it my self but I am a sucker for field worn and or issued items.

Regards Mark

Thank you Mark, over the years I have been guilty of tinkering with helmets, and if parts have been missing or damaged I have gone all out to replace /restore. But you are right this one does show a sense of uniqueness, so I will resist the temptation to tinker...and of course the liners are very scarce/expensive so that helps me resist further

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast