Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

RAC helmet help

Article about: ive owned this mk11 royal amoured corps helmet for a while now but hope to learn more about it ,firstly id really like to date the shell and the possible maker so i need pointers on where to

Default RAC helmet help

ive owned this mk11 royal amoured corps helmet for a while now but hope to learn more about it ,firstly id really like to date the shell and the possible maker so i need pointers on where to look and confirmation it was a done thing as i really cant see anything internally perhaps due to surface corrosion ? the mk111 liner cross shows a date of 1952 ,also id like confirmation on the liner chin strap untill today in bright sunlight ive learned it has a broad arrow stamp alongside a date of 1975 was it common to find the straps ink stamped in this way ,i have to say its it was news to me ,on the longers section of strap is TPR widdowson penned by hand am i right in saying TPR is for trooper ?i am wondering if this terminology was used by the the armoured corps or maybe the tank regiment i also decided to peel back the dpm cover a little and exposed an olive green textured shell any help appreciated RAC helmet helpRAC helmet helpRAC helmet helpRAC helmet helpRAC helmet helpRAC helmet help
    Regards James

?

Sorry James I am at work so on my smart phone hard to tell from the images is the liner attached with a lift the dot fastner system or is it attached via nut and bolt configuration.

Regards Mark

yes mark the liner is attached via the lift the dot fastener
    Regards James

?

With out a doubt post war then James I can look tonight at my referance material after work unless some one else comes up with the information you need first still a nice helmet and I would gladly display it on my shelf.

Regards Mark

Trooper is correct for tankers/cavalry/armoured, these were used until the 80's so end of use could be any time between 50's and then. Strap is newer than the rest of it, but could have been added in use. Rusty paint might suggest it has been put together by adding the camo cover and net to it. Looks nice though James. I don't remember any of the tankers lids I have owned having maker makers on the shell but I assume most were made by BMB.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Hi Jerry I think you are correct BMB did manufacturer most of the shells and if memory serves me correct they ended there service career in the Royal Navy ? In the mid 1980's.

Regards Mark

thank mark for your help on this one and also thanks Jerryso these helmets have had a good lifespan in service then and the upgraded chinstrap makes sense ,ideally if i could but i wont i would of liked to strip it down and perhaps work out which period dpm was used p60/68 or 84, im not sure how this helmet was stored but it must of been in a damp environment as it shows surface corrosion internally and externally on what i can see of the shell ,as for the maker stamps thanks for the info ,i have given what i can see of the insides a good looking over but thought perhaps i was missing something and great to hear of your examples for comparison
    Regards James

?

I find it rather attractive the way it is reminds me of that old dog you cant bare to put down.

Regards Mark

?

The first Mk2 HSRAC were introduced in early 1945, & I guess made up into the 50's.
    Pretty sure all were made by BMB, the strap looks like the quick release type which were also made from 1945. But they could have used the Mk3, 4, or later dark coloured ones which might be a MK5 chin strap?
    A long service life with refurbs along the way.
    Used also in the Falklands war by the navy.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAC helmet help   RAC helmet help  

Attached Images Attached Images RAC helmet help 

thank you very much Aaron this is a close up of the release buckle RAC helmet helpRAC helmet helpRAC helmet help
    Regards James

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast