Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

RAC/MKIII liner

Article about: OK, so I have an RAC shell, but it's lacking a "lift the dot" liner. Also I see many of the Mk III/IV/V helmets without liners. I have searched high and low, but alas, I can find n

Default RAC/MKIII liner

OK, so I have an RAC shell, but it's lacking a "lift the dot" liner. Also I see many of the Mk III/IV/V helmets without liners. I have searched high and low, but alas, I can find no liners. I can find MKII repro liners, but I've no clue how one might adapt such to a LTD fastener.
    I'd like to restore my RAC, as they seem to be being "airborned" out of existence. Does anyone have a source for these?

?

Your best bet is to buy a MkIV with a liner, it really depends on how much you want to pay. E-bay would be your best bet if you wait you will pick up a cheap MkIV with a liner, it's also worth looking for the Police version, they tend to go a bit cheaper.

COLLECTORS LOVELY WORLD WAR 2 POLICE OFFICER HELMET BLUE | eBay

I don't believe there will be repro LTD liners, and in my opinion you will better off with an original.

?

What colour is the helmet, if dark brown textured paint then it could be a 1945 dated one. It should be stamped on the inside BMB 1945, but sometimes is hard to see due to the thickness of the paint. If its painted olive drab, & the shell is smooth paint then it could be a BMB or RO&Co 1950's one.

It's actually coated with a VERY rough, sharp sand type substance that seems to be in some kind of thick olive drab paint. It's almost like unthinned automotive paint. I was told it was one of the lot sent to Switzerland after the war, but never rebuilt. I have a MKII with a similar paste-like rough coating, so I think this may have been some kind of refurb paint. It's awful stuff, similar to non-skid paint, which now that I think about it, I wonder if it isn't the same abrasive added to floor paint, or maybe the non-slip stuff on AFVs.

At any rate, thanks for the suggestions for LTD liners. I wonder how hard it is to add a LTD to a MKII liner?