Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

RAF Rescue Helmet for Evaluation

Article about: This one has just come into my possession. Joseph Sankey & Sons 1940 with liner marked 1939 and size 6 3/4. I can't make out the entire maker's code. It looks like _TC and a symbol with

Default RAF Rescue Helmet for Evaluation

This one has just come into my possession. Joseph Sankey & Sons 1940 with liner marked 1939 and size 6 3/4. I can't make out the entire maker's code. It looks like _TC and a symbol with a couple of numbers (66?) over it. The lining retention bolt looks replaced and the top lining pad is missing. The blue certainly doesn't look like any WWII RAF blue I've seen, so I wonder about it. Any thoughts, anybody?

Martin
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture RAF Rescue Helmet for Evaluation   RAF Rescue Helmet for Evaluation  

RAF Rescue Helmet for Evaluation   RAF Rescue Helmet for Evaluation  

?

The RAF were still using the Mk2 well into the 1950's, so I wonder if it might be from then?

On another forum it has been suggested that RAF blue Rescue helmets were issued in 1944 for rescue teams that were sent out in Kent and the South-East when the V-Weapons started dropping. He further suggests that these Rescue Teams were used up until 1956 for post-war training and for those involved in the rescue of aircrew from downed jets.

?

I wasn't to far out then, hopefully some others might have some more info' to nail it for sure.

Like you've said previously, it seems that concise information on British Helmets is somewhat sketchy.

?

Innit just, apart from a few promised books on British helmets, yet to materialize, the only place to find out about British helmets is on these forums.I learn something new every year.

Nice acquisition. When I looked at it I convinced myself it was post war...I dunno why though. The Kent-based rescue story is interesting..did it come with any background / references?

Another of these helmets was sold last year in Canada and was listed as "A Battle of Britain RAF Channel Rescue Helmet" and described as being "A rare type, produced for RAF rescue boat personnel who would retrieve downed pilots and aircrew in the English Channel".