Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Real or Fake helmet?

Article about: Hello everyone, I am looking for some advice please regarding a helmet I bought years ago when I must have been about 12 (28 now). I was in France doing the Normandy tour with my father and

Hi Sox,

Sorry to say that your liner above is not a genuine piece, a repro.

Here are the points:

- Sweatband is a repro example.
    - A washers are more like Euro/Middle-eastern style. Triangular buckle strap added afterwards.
    - There is no such thing as a Firestone M2. Only "Westinghouse" and "Inland" liners made M2's.

The nape strap look original from the photo.

Just my opinion, will let other members to add more info.

Hi Sox, many thanks for supplying close up shots of the liner and agree it is a shame that the liner has been messed with, I have a similar one which I bought many years ago in good faith, my liner is a post war Belgium and to the untrained eye ( at the time my eye was very untrained) it looks very realistic.

I think it is safe to say the liner is an M2 repro, but for display purposes and with the 6th Of June only day's away it is a good representation of what the Gi's wore in Normandy, thanks again for taking the time to post more pictures up it has helped everyone to give an honest appraisal, which I hope will enable you to be more confident in the provenance of your example

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12