Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Refurbished Mk2's used post war.

Article about: I know British Mk2 helmets were used well into the 1950's, & some were refurbished. The two types I know of are either painted dark brown textured paint, or a similar colour & textur

?

Default Refurbished Mk2's used post war.

I know British Mk2 helmets were used well into the 1950's, & some were refurbished.
    The two types I know of are either painted dark brown textured paint, or a similar colour & texture to the early war khaki green painted army Mk2's.
    The latter green type is not as textured as the wartime ones & normally has an ink stamp on the inside shell which is normally painted smooth matt, & most if not all have post war dated liners.
    These ones are quite easy to tell from WW2 issue Mk2's, the dark brown painted ones are a bit of a bugger to tell the difference. Unless it's been refurbished on the early war Mk2's dated before 1939 with the larger Mk2 chin strap lugs as all of these would have been painted khaki green.
    The later Mk2's from about 1941/42 would have been factory finish in dark brown, but post war refurbished ones seem to have a white sort of chalky look to them, & post war liners.
    Today I came across an Canadian Mk2 with the same refurb as the British ones & it has this same ink stamp inside.
    Any idea's anyone.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Refurbished Mk2's used post war.   Refurbished Mk2's used post war.  

Refurbished Mk2's used post war.   Refurbished Mk2's used post war.  

?

The Norwegian's also used the Mk2 post war, Civil Defence colours & badge.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Refurbished Mk2's used post war.   Refurbished Mk2's used post war.  

SMP
    ?

Hi Aaron,

What do you make of this one ? WW2 or a re-furb ? 1940 dated liner.

?

These dark brown ones are so tricky to work out.
    Here's one which had a 1949 dated liner in that someone tried to make into a 43, note this one had smooth dark brown paint inside & textured outside ( so was it just repainted on the outside on this one?). Where most of these refurbs seem to have textured paint inside & out?
    It also has the size stamped on the cruciform pad which I'm not an admirer of.

?

But this one is ok in my opinion. EC&Co made, so probably dated 41/42, & 40 dated liner.

?

Hi Aaron I have seen this ink stamp somewhere as well before and on more than one occasion but for the life of me I can not remember were the first thing that came to mind was the Netherlands or Belgium I have spent a couple hours over the last few days looking at different websites and images but I still can not find the source
    I wonder if Greg Pickersgill would be able to shed any light on this particular stamp ?

Regards Mark

The first thing that comes to mind with that stamp (VB?) Is Dutch maybe?
    Best Regards Matt

On the look out for original ww2 M26 Adrian helmet liner.

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    Hi Aaron I have seen this ink stamp somewhere as well before and on more than one occasion but for the life of me I can not remember were the first thing that came to mind was the Netherlands or Belgium I have spent a couple hours over the last few days looking at different websites and images but I still can not find the source
    I wonder if Greg Pickersgill would be able to shed any light on this particular stamp ?

Regards Mark
    the same for me, I have seen it before and I am sure I have read what it is but cannot find it when looking.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I think if the Dutch or Belgiums refurbed these helmets they would have used their own liners & not post war British ones?
    Whether they were refured by the British for their own use, or for export I'm not sure.

My odd MKII Helmet with MKI type liner has the same stamp on the inside.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast