Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rimless Brodie WW1

Article about: Hello everyone, I share with you this helmet in my collection, it is a WW1 rimless Brodie pattern with Mk1 liner, first type (no rubber ring). The Shell is marked M/ A133, i think it is: J&a

Default Rimless Brodie WW1

Hello everyone,
    I share with you this helmet in my collection, it is a WW1 rimless Brodie pattern with Mk1 liner, first type (no rubber ring).
    The Shell is marked M/ A133, i think it is: J&J Maxfield & Sons of Sheffield?.
    I'd like to know your opinion and to learn more about the history of this model.

Greetings
    Roberto

Rimless Brodie WW1Rimless Brodie WW1Rimless Brodie WW1Rimless Brodie WW1Rimless Brodie WW1Rimless Brodie WW1Rimless Brodie WW1Rimless Brodie WW1Rimless Brodie WW1

?

I wish I could tell you something about this helmet Roberto, but all I do know is, it looks a cracking helmet in great condition.

Is it me or is the liner an American liner???

I have also noticed the mesh is missing that helps to tighten the liner. You can see remnants of it left over under oil skin. The black maker stamp is R.H. Long an American manufacturer. I hate to say it but the helmet looks messed with to me but someone may know better.

Minor point - it is not 'rimless' in the proper sense being made without it, but missing its rim. You can clearly see the outline in your close up images of the demarcation wear line where the rim was and has become detached. not uncommon as theses rims were held on with a crappy single spot weld and come adrift with handling over the ages. Otherwise a nice clean example of the c. 1917 era helmet

Well spotted I just took another look and I agree it had a rim then it's been painted over you can see pitting where the rim used to be.

My British WW1 helmet
    WW1 Great War Biitish Mark 1 Brodie Helmet

My U.S. WW1 Helmet
    WW1 Great War M1917 U.S. Doughboy Helmet

Hope this helps OldSteel

SMP
    ?

Looks like an English shell re-used by the Americans.

Hi, Redstalker
    yes, there are torn pieces of mesh under the oil skin.

Still nice but a British shell with US liner and repaint. Looks well done enough to be a period refurb.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast