Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

SA Mk.II With Unusual Desert Camo

Article about: Greetings all, A pretty standard South African MK.II helmet - liner marked with the U broad arrow & Jagerand 1942. It's unfortunately missing the original chinstrap and the underside is

Default SA Mk.II With Unusual Desert Camo

Greetings all,

A pretty standard South African MK.II helmet - liner marked with the U broad arrow & Jagerand 1942. It's unfortunately missing the original chinstrap and the underside is very salty.
    It would appear that the helmet has had a pretty drastic field camouflage with large brush 'splotches' of brown paint.
    If indeed the camo paint is original I find it interesting that the characteristic black lines (allegedly made during stacking in hot sun from melting black liners) have been painted over. I had always assumed these lines from careless stacking would have occurred prior to issue.

Thanks for looking
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SA Mk.II With Unusual Desert Camo   SA Mk.II With Unusual Desert Camo  

SA Mk.II With Unusual Desert Camo   SA Mk.II With Unusual Desert Camo  

SA Mk.II With Unusual Desert Camo  

?

Hi Chris an odd camo to be shur the band left from helmet stacking can occur at any time I have Canadian Mk II's in my collection that were stacked post war that show the remnants of the black ring left from stacking.

Regards Mark

Nice MK2 Chris,nearly every Helmet regardless of weather its a mk2/mk3/mk4 all seem to have some sort of stacking line running around them because of the liner material used,can't remember what its proper name is,still a good piece you've aquired mate........

?

These SA Mk2's were used by quite a few Countries post war, so very hard to tell when this was painted.
    The stacking marks were probably done when the helmet was put into stores, most likely after the war.
    So paint thereafter put on is post war?

Thanks for all comments gentlemen, much appreciated.

I didn't realise these had a further service life. I'll look into that. Thanks again.