Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Scottish/ British WW2 Brodie ??

Article about: Thank you Ewan. I was wondering if that emblem,The Thistle with the yellow ribbon with a diamond shape in the middle with the remnants of something red in the diamond. Belong to any specfic

?

Default Scottish/ British WW2 Brodie ??

Hello To All
    First off Great Site!!!
    Okay I have had this Helmet for years and never could figure out what exactly this was painted on this helmet . Just recently I posted a pic on another site and someone said it looked like a the head of a thistle and that it might be scottish.
    If possible could someone maybe tell me who might have had this emblem painted on their helmet?
    The only markings I can find are on the liner and they are stamped into one of the metal bands and they are 7 VERO I 1939.
    Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Scottish/ British WW2 Brodie ??   Scottish/ British WW2 Brodie ??  

Default Re: Scottish/ British WW2 Brodie ??

Hello AZphil,
    Looks like an early pattern Brodie beginning of WW2. Does it have a brass screw type attachment on the top of the helmet or is it riveted. Also is the chinstrap elasticated with metal springs on each end? I'm sorry but don't know about the thistle painting, still trying to find out about the six helmets hanging on my wall. I'm sure one of our more knowledgeable members will be able to help you out.
    Regards,
    navyman.

?

It has the brass nut and screw attachment and the chinstraps have the springs but one of the straps is torn up. The buckle side is still good.

AZPhil,
    I've just checked the two Brodies I have. One has a small brass screw and washer with brass nut inside. The steel rim is stamped; 325 1941 and another mark is obscured by the foldover.
    The second has a large brass screw fixing and no stamping on the steel. The liner is marked; 7 VERO II 1939. The 7 must be size as it fits me! Both have the early type sprung chinstraps.
    Can't tell you the manufacturer but I'm sure someone on the forum will let us know who VERO is?
    Regards,
    navyman.

?

From the research I have done, I found that VERO was the company that made the liner's. I'm not sure if they made the helmets. I also found another marking on the liner band that is just below the strap side. It is a C with and arrow going thru it pointing up and below that are the #468 ,
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Scottish/ British WW2 Brodie ??   Scottish/ British WW2 Brodie ??  

?

That is the 1938/39 pattern liner ... they changed to the cross type inside of the oval in the crown in 1939.

Gary J.

Thanks Gary,
    I;ve also got a civvy type, perhaps home guard, looks like liner fixed with what appears to be bootlace. Marked on leather liner; E&R 7 1944.
    Any advice ?
    Regards,
    navyman.

?

Sounds like a zuckerman helmet ...
    There has been a few threads on these ..

Is it similar to this helemt shown in an earlier thread ?

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/attic...ying-5872.html.

Gary J.

Quote by navyman View Post
    Thanks Gary,
    I;ve also got a civvy type, perhaps home guard, looks like liner fixed with what appears to be bootlace. Marked on leather liner; E&R 7 1944.
    Any advice ?
    Regards,
    navyman.

Hello Gary,
    Yes, thats the type, I was also told that it was issued to fire watchers and some AA units but was unpopular as it was thought to be inferior to the brodie?
    Cheers,
    navyman.

?

Ok ...
    Yes .... it was purely a Civil defence type helmet !
    At least we've pinned it down !!

Cheers

Gary J.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast