Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Senior FG Zuckerman: In-Hands

Article about: Arrived in the post two days ago, but have been at work for most of the weekend. Now I'm at home, I can post these in-hands photographs. To begin, I believe this helmet's authenticity is now

Default Senior FG Zuckerman: In-Hands

Arrived in the post two days ago, but have been at work for most of the weekend. Now I'm at home, I can post these in-hands photographs.

To begin, I believe this helmet's authenticity is now unquestionable. The paintwork is almost certainly period applied. Apart from a few small areas of minor flaking, it's all in place and looking fantastic. I especially love just how visible the brushstrokes are, a very 'make do and mend' paintjob, and one that really sets it apart as a true Home Front piece.
    I've measured the black stripe around the dome, and can confirm it to be half an inch in width. Although as stated previously by others, I can't imagine they would have been too fussy at the time!

The liner is intact and in good shape, although it has been slightly crushed at the back, possibly where it was sitting on a shelf edge or some such place. There is no chinstrap, as is common with these helmets. They were not issued with one, and any found in-situ would have been improvised by the owner.

The meaning of the 'B.B.' marking on the inside brim is a mystery to me, although I admit I do enjoy having a piece that's marked with the same initials as my forum persona. The other markings are something I'll have to research. Both helmet and liner are dated 1941, as are the vast majority of Zuckermans. I've heard it's quite rare to find one of a different year, and have to admit I've never seen one for sale dated any earlier or any later.

It's on proud display now, alongside its distant cousin the MK 2 Brodie; the helmet that gave me my online alias.

Best regards, and apologies for the photo quality. Currently in the midst of some very British weather!

B.B.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Senior FG Zuckerman: In-Hands   Senior FG Zuckerman: In-Hands  

Senior FG Zuckerman: In-Hands   Senior FG Zuckerman: In-Hands  

Senior FG Zuckerman: In-Hands   Senior FG Zuckerman: In-Hands  

What other markings do you need help with?

The 'V M 3' mainly. 41 has to be the date of manufacture, and I'd assume 'M' indicates the shell size?

B.B.

'Always thought the V was for Vauxhall or Viners.......

Would that happen to be the same Vauxhall that builds cars today?

B.B.