Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Sleeper M1s

Article about: Hi Guys, Had some great (bargain) helmet finds over the past few months in the UK. Thought I'd share two that have stuck out. This is not a gloat post, but rather me sharing what massive bar

?

Default Sleeper M1s

Hi Guys,

Had some great (bargain) helmet finds over the past few months in the UK. Thought I'd share two that have stuck out. This is not a gloat post, but rather me sharing what massive bargains can be found with only a little detective work or a hunch.
    Both interestingly looked like rather crappy or at least ordinary buys, but had a silver (or in this case steel) lining! Few months back on Gumtree an M1 appeared. Nasty 80s cloth cover, horrible plastic liner - nothing special. I asked the guy for more pics (off site), which he obliged me. Nonetheless, under the cloth was a lovely front seam WWII lid (painted a horrid brown) with OD3 chinstraps, correct heat stamp. Guy didn't seem interested in why I was asking these questions about seams, numbers etc. Anyway, cost me £30. Have subsequently resprayed the steel the correct shade of OD and fitted a good 1950s Belgian M1 liner (which is a great copy of a wartime one - as I can't afford an original at the exorbitant prices in the UK) and an old M1 leather chinstrap.

Sleeper M1sSleeper M1s
    Sleeper M1s

Second killer deal was a few days ago. I was using a well-known auction site, having a look-see. Bang - lovely M1 with Mitchell cover, 70s Vietnam liner etc, and not for auction but direct sale. OK - I normally only collect WW2 lids, but looking closely at the photos online I thought the steel helmet looked a little tall for a postwar manufacture. It looked much older. But I knew that at £49.95 it wasn't going to be on for long, as thats a big bargain for a nice 'Nam lid with cover, so I bought without asking any obvious questions hoping my hunch would pay off. Well, it certainly did. It arrived cover on - Mitchell in great condition dated 1973. But when I drew it back I realised I'd hit pay dirt - the shell was indeed a spiffing WWII McCord, with its original green paint and sewn on OD7 chinstraps. 800 series heat stamp dates to about early 1944. Needless to say I did the dance of the seven army surplus blankets. My plan now is find a postwar shell to use with the Mitchell, and display the WWII helmet with correct liner and liner chinstrap. Thats the trouble with collecting - there's always more to buy!

Sleeper M1s
    Sleeper M1s

My point is this: sleeper WWII M1s appear to abound hidden under '70s and '80s covers, often with modern chinstraps. Its worth digging a little deeper when something looks a bit crap, because there really is gold lurking under those tatty old cloth covers...

I see no "Gloating". If members don't share their collection on the forum...the forum will die.
    Thanks for posting...nice helmets

Good looking helmets, I believe you did well. It is a good day when you bring another helmet home.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Great work, here in the UK you have to hunt around unless you want to pay BIG money, i am sure the liner will pop up soon.