Become our sponsor and display your banner here

South African helmet

Article about: Got this one from South Africa ( import fees were a bit steep) . What do you guys think of the paint , is it post war or another war time over paint for change of theatre of operations. Date

?

Default South African helmet

Got this one from South Africa ( import fees were a bit steep) . What do you guys think of the paint , is it post war or another war time over paint for change of theatre of operations. Dated 1940 seems to have been painted with chin strap and liner in situ, as both have traces of the same paint. Unusual retaining nut compared to my others.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South African helmet   South African helmet  

South African helmet   South African helmet  

South African helmet   South African helmet  

South African helmet  

?

Any thoughts on the paint on this one

SMP
    ?

Quote by busman View Post
    Any thoughts on the paint on this one
    Post-war re-issue in my opinion. Probably not what you wanted to hear.

?

I don’t mind either way,part of the helmets history. Just interested in opinions on time line of repaint. Was hoping someone may have had a helmet repainted the same or similar for comparison . I was thinking a post war repaint would have been done as a full refurbishment , With liner and strap removed. It’s showing stacking rings so was redone while in service. I don’t think a post war European country reissued Helmet i.e Greece etc as I purchased this one from South Africa.

?

This one is pretty similar, also has paper stuck to the liner. So most likely stored for years then issued to, anyone's guess really.(Although strap looks to be Israeli)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South African helmet   South African helmet  

?

Yes very similar in colour, I would say the same apart from the different chin straps. Maybe mine found it’s way back to South Africa from Israel, then to me in England. What a journey.

?

Is the liner nut typical South African?

?

Yes, SA nut and bolt. Or your helmet might have been used by a second line unit, or even cadets in South Africa, it's a big unknown.

?

Thanks tinlid for the info.