Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

South African Made Desert Camo Helmet

Article about: This one has been shown before, but it was shown with other helmets I have. I think this one deserves it's own post. Also, I've had to relocate recently, so this is my first post from what w

?

Default South African Made Desert Camo Helmet

This one has been shown before, but it was shown with other helmets I have. I think this one deserves it's own post.
    Also, I've had to relocate recently, so this is my first post from what will be my new place for a while, and I am experimenting with a new camera. It's a Nikon Coolpix P510, used indoors in poor light, (quite a test) and I've tried to keep fill in flash to a minimum.
    The helmet is South African, made by Jaeger Rand, dated 1942, issued to desert troops.It has the famous three holes in the brim to attach the rarely seen in use neck protector. The paint and texture is the original factory finish in very good if not unissued condition. The pics will enlarge very well to have a closer look at the paint. The net is not original to the helmet, it was added by me.

Comments welcomed.

Best Regards,

Andy.

PS.
    Mads, I just spotted your post, this was not posted in competition with yours mate!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South African Made Desert Camo Helmet   South African Made Desert Camo Helmet  

South African Made Desert Camo Helmet   South African Made Desert Camo Helmet  

Last edited by aj4010; 12-22-2012 at 06:06 PM.
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff8c00][SIZE=3]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

?

Default Re: South African Made Desert Camo Helmet

A mint example as you'll ever going to see Is the net an Australian one?
    Aaron

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    A mint example as you'll ever going to see Is the net an Australian one?
    Aaron

I'm not exactly sure, I had a job lot of different types a while back. I've not seen one like it before. I had a thought it could be post war?

Best Regards,

Andy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South African Made Desert Camo Helmet  
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/COLOR][CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000][SIZE=3]URGENTLY LOOKING FOR: 1982 era Argentine military issue goggles. Fravida 109, and "Sanbuee" French lens type
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/SIZE]Have a look at my 20+ (so far, work in progress) albums for lots of M1's, rare liners and other stuff, including WW2British helmets, Falklands battlefield pickup helmets and let me know what you think!
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]

No worries Andy, desert lids are always nice to watch and yours is an excellent example

It seems that there was alot of exchange of nets going on(and probably other pieces of equipment as well) between the different nationalities who fought in the 8th army (1st army as well).

Cheers!
    Mads

Very nice example, Andy
    The Paint job is awesome and like said almost mint condition.
    Mick

Beautiful lid Andy
    Excellent example.
    Cheers
    Nuno

?

Thanks for the kind remarks gentlemen. She is one of my favorite non M1 helmets.
    It's interesting to note the difference in the quality of these compared to the more austere British versions of the same date.

Best Regards,

Andy
    Best Regards,

Andy

[COLOR=#ffa07a]
    [/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]

[/COLOR][/CENTER]