Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

South African mk11 question

Article about: Hello everybody I am new to this forum can anybody tell me if the British used the South African mk11 helmet in North Africa, I have been told that the free French used them, but I am sure I

Default South African mk11 question

Hello everybody I am new to this forum can anybody tell me if the British used the South African mk11 helmet in North Africa, I have been told that the free French used them, but I am sure I have seen somewhere that some British units had them but I can't confirm it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture South African mk11 question  
    Attached Images Attached Images South African mk11 question  South African mk11 question 

?

Default Re: South African mk11 question

Hi, I've seen quite a few South African helmets with British liners, so they might have. But I can't prove it.
    Aaron.

I know The Netherlands used these MkII SA helmets on a small scale. I have no doubt these came out of British surplus after WW2. Over here (NL) in the eighties I once bougth a mint SA MkII in desert camo with the original liner. The seller had several.

I reckon the SA supplied the UK forces in North Africa and surplus was shipped to Britain, to be disposed of later.
    Cheers,
    Emile

Thanks Aaron and Emile the liner in this one is British made by FFL dated 1943. I think all the evidence seems to support the idea that they were used by the British but it would be nice to find some actual reference material.