Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

St John's ambulance brigade

Article about: Not all of these St Johns Amb' are from Ireland I'm sure, once we have the pics hopefully might be able to tell. j.S.S. produced helmets from 38-41. Aaron

?

Default Re: St John's ambulance brigade

Not all of these St Johns Amb' are from Ireland I'm sure, once we have the pics hopefully might be able to tell. j.S.S. produced helmets from 38-41.
    Aaron

?

My quest continues. Now that I have had the benefit of reading some of the other posts and studied this helmet a bit more. I have looked at the liner and the following is embossed but readable now your members pointed out where to look.

J.C.S & W Ltd 1939

This is different to the J.J.S. that seems to be stamped under the helmet brim.

Any more info would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks.

J Compton Sons & Webb Ltd
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Have pictures now but I am a bit of a technophobe so will have to wait till tomorrow to get someone younger here to load them up for me.

Are these things rare or what? Apart from the one above I came across a similar one on ebay but alas there is no story. My Father says he thinks he found it in an old warehouse or store he worked in donkeys years ago and thought if he brought it home I would get use from playing with it!

I always thought it was cool.

?

St John's ambulance brigadeSt John's ambulance brigadeSt John's ambulance brigadeSt John's ambulance brigadeSt John's ambulance brigadeSt John's ambulance brigadeSt John's ambulance brigadeSt John's ambulance brigadeSt John's ambulance brigadeSt John's ambulance brigadeSt John's ambulance brigadeSt John's ambulance brigade

?

Before we knew about the Irish helmets flooding the market I would have said what a great helmet, but now I'm not so sure. I think the badge at the front looks the same as Paddy's, & his is from Ireland so I guess this is too.

?

While we are on the subject of S.J.A.B. helmets I will throw mine into the pile as well the helmet as well as the logo have been hand painted. This helmet is stamped G.S.W-DP&H dated 1943 if I remember correctly.

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture St John's ambulance brigade   St John's ambulance brigade  

St John's ambulance brigade  

?

I am not sure about Irish helmets flooding the market, like I said I knew nothing about its origin. I only came across this forum by Google and found "Paddy's" helmet.

Just looking for its background and in fairness know a lot more today than I did yesterday. (which was zip)

I'm not on here to ruffle the feathers of those guys who live and breath this stuff all the time.

If there are loads about it can go back into the attic or to a car boot sale.

Thanks

Hi Dybber, it is a great lid.

No feathers ruffled. It is until recently few of these seem to have been around in collections? Some now have been released on the surplus/collectors market and so now we are becoming more familiar with them. Clearly there does seem to be an Irish connection, hence my question about them. New info comes to light all the time and this is all part of the fun of learning.

Thanks for showing it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Please don't take offence, it's a great looking helmet & has it's own history. What worries me is people & traders are buying these up & are selling them as something they are not. They might be WW2 helmets but the paint on the outside is post war/ or not originally marked as used by the British on the home front during WW2. A helmet like yours will fetch a lot of money on ebay to someone who does not know it's real origin could get caught out.
    Aaron

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast