Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Staffordshire Helmet, MKII

Article about: by Red Falcon The dark patch on the top of the helmet is rusty bare metal, where there has been some sort of impact.. That is why I ask as I cannot tell from the pictures for certain, but it

Quote by Red Falcon View Post
    The dark patch on the top of the helmet is rusty bare metal, where there has been some sort of impact..
    That is why I ask as I cannot tell from the pictures for certain, but it looks to be textured and therefore Army issue I think. A very good MKII either way and any with a period flash are very desirable.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Interesting Mk.II !

Cheers!
    Taka

p.s. Suddenly reminds me that didn't the Russians made their own Mk.II style helmet? (Rear, short lived) Something for civil defense. Sorry if I'm wrong.

green paint seems closer to smooth than textured, doesn't sound good then...(sniff?)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Staffordshire Helmet, MKII   Staffordshire Helmet, MKII  

Quote by Red Falcon View Post
    green paint seems closer to smooth than textured, doesn't sound good then...(sniff?)
    It is only the paint on the exterior that counts for a helmet of this date, the underside is smooth for both.
    Regards,

Jerry

It's not totally smooth, but it is shiny..
    thanks for help Jerry

Taka, look at this link, half way down, Soviet copy of MK I for sale..

Original WW2 German militaria, WW2 Red Army militaria, WW2 Soviet militaria and more...

Can't see paint under tan paint, where it has chipped off, it's down to the metal..

second pic done using flash on camera.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Staffordshire Helmet, MKII   Staffordshire Helmet, MKII  

and tan paint is textured, rough..

?

I personally would have expected the flash to be on the side of the helmet .. Being a MKII ie WW2 spec.
    Normally sized at approx 2 inches (50mm) ..

This also looks to be hand-painted - rather than a transfer type flash, and possibly more in the North-Staffs style.

Gary J.

Quote by Gary J View Post
    I personally would have expected the flash to be on the side of the helmet .. Being a MKII ie WW2 spec.
    Normally sized at approx 2 inches (50mm) ..

This also looks to be hand-painted - rather than a transfer type flash, and possibly more in the North-Staffs style.

Gary J.
    Gary, the North Staffs had the POW feathers & ICH DIEN motto on a scroll above the knot, while South Staffs had the Crown.

Here is my example of the latter on a WWII period officers cap. Note the button in particular.

Regards,

Jerry

And here is the North Staffs badge, not my collection.
    Attached Images Attached Images Staffordshire Helmet, MKII 
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast