Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Strange Canadian/British Lid

Article about: Hi Mark, my Grandad served with the SJAB in WW2, as he was a WW1 Veteran. I have done a thread about him and there are pics of him in SJAB uniform. Search "Isaac Stevenson". Cheers

?

Default Strange Canadian/British Lid

Good day gentlemen I came upon this lid on the weekend and It caught my attention right away it has been hand painted black as I can see the brush strokes and the letters S.J.A.B were applied to it when I asked the seller if he knew anything about the lettering he informed me that the helmet came from the St Johns Air Base .Ok so now I am a little intrigued and the lid is in very nice condition so I purchased it. So now it is time to see if anyone can help me with the lettering as I am not convinced with the story .I did a google search of St Johns and the only AirField that came back in my search was St Johns Airfield in England which did see service in WW-2 and was used by the british as well as the Americans during the war.As I can not find another example of this helmet with these markings when I searched I am unshur if it is a real piece or a fantasy Item any and all comments will be welcome .

Regards Mark K
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Strange Canadian/British Lid   Strange Canadian/British Lid  

Strange Canadian/British Lid   Strange Canadian/British Lid  

Strange Canadian/British Lid   Strange Canadian/British Lid  

Strange Canadian/British Lid  

?

Default Re: Strange Canadian/British Lid

St John's airport in Newfoundland. That was an airbase during and after the war. So the helmet letters would fit. It could be a post war repaint. It's definitely a Canadian made helmet. Remember Newfoundland wasn't part of Canada at the time.
    Last edited by noelh; 08-30-2011 at 04:35 PM.

?

Thanks Noelh I found St John's Newfoundland in my search but I thought the air base went by a different name will have to do some more digging .

Regards Mark K

I am much more inclined to think it stands for "St John Ambulance Brigade"

Cheers, Ade.

type in S.J.A.B you get st johns abulance brigade so i would agree with ade on this one still a nice helmet mark

tom

?

Thank you gentemen for your time I am quite happy with that explanation and thought it a very interesting helmet and as stated it is in very nice condition.I will be happy to add it to my collection I will assume that it appears to be an original piece Adrian and Tom .

Regards Mark K

yeah it looks nice and should be worth displaying it

tom

?

Thanks Tom Now if I can find an early uniform to go with it will require some research I think

Regards Mark k

you mean a lot of research if you need help just ask

tom

?

Thank you Tom I appreciate that very much.

Regards Mark K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast