Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is there a wise old man (who knows what I don't) here?

Article about: Good afternoon gents, Annoyed from this ads?   I need help (don't we all!) in identifying this helmet. I took a punt on it as it was not expensive and I was sure I have seen one before

Default Is there a wise old man (who knows what I don't) here?

Good afternoon gents,

I need help (don't we all!) in identifying this helmet.

I took a punt on it as it was not expensive and I was sure I have seen one before but can't recall where.

I am pretty sure it is US military and my first thought is that it is a motorcyclist helmet. I just can't identify it for sure.

Anybody shine a light on it for me?

I will post more pics when I receive it.

Regards

Mark

Is there a wise old man (who knows what I don't) here?Is there a wise old man (who knows what I don't) here?Is there a wise old man (who knows what I don't) here?

interesting helmet - what is the outer shell made of ? fiberglass resin ?

I believe it is steel but must admit I didn't ask that specific question so I won't know the answer till I receive it in the next day or so. It was just one of those "Oh, I recognise that" moments and a buy or don't buy decision. As you say it is interesting if nothing else!

Mark

The front snaps on the peak are interesting - possibly for goggles ?
    indeed - very interesting item

Yep that's what I thought and the design is very similar to that of the british despatch rider helmet but whilst it was widely used by british and canadian motorcyclists including the MP and there are many period photographs the only US military motorcyclists I can find pictures of are wearing the M1.

Mark

?

I have a similar helmet (with the leather visor and straps) which I bought from a man who said that his father used it for auto racing in the 1950s. Mine is fiberglass, though, and appears a bit more recent.

What company is marked on the press studs ? may help with the ID

I think its a motor racing helmet from the 50s.

Well, I have the helmet now and have managed to deduce a little more.

It isn't steel. The shell is fibreglass but is definately a military shade of green.

My research tells me that this is a Danish military motorcycle helmet from the 1950's but I can discover little more than that so far.

I wonder if any member here can enlighten me further.

I would particularly like to know if anyone can make out or identify the stamps inside. One is clearly a date stamp which I read as 1957 but I can't make out what is below the crown. The other stamp is maybe a maker or issue stamp but I can't read it at all. I imagine that the handwritten number is related to the owner, part of his service number perhaps?

The maker mark on the snaps / presstuds is Newey so no surprise there.

I think the helmet is missing some kind of padded band from the inside.

Any info concerning this unusual helmet would be much appreciated.

Here are a couple more pics

Regards

Mark

Is there a wise old man (who knows what I don't) here?Is there a wise old man (who knows what I don't) here?Is there a wise old man (who knows what I don't) here?Is there a wise old man (who knows what I don't) here?Is there a wise old man (who knows what I don't) here?Is there a wise old man (who knows what I don't) here?

Looks to read Forsvarets Ejendom and from the crown stamp i think its Dannish army

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast