Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Today's flea market find

Article about: Hi guys, Me again . Wanted to share the latest addition to my collection. Found this WW2 US tanker helmet today at a flea market. I agree it's not in the best of condition but it's definitel

Default Today's flea market find

Hi guys,
    Me again . Wanted to share the latest addition to my collection.
    Found this WW2 US tanker helmet today at a flea market. I agree it's not in the best of condition but it's definitely got that 'been there done that' look to it. If it could only talk...
    But as always there are a few abnormalities with it. To start anyone know why the leather liner is a dark brownish (sweat, stain, age...?) and there are a couple of markings and numbers written into the liner.does anyone have an idea as in what they could mean? (Division, infantry number, calculations)???
    Regards and thx in advance,
    AJ
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Today's flea market find   Today's flea market find  

Today's flea market find   Today's flea market find  

Today's flea market find  
    Attached Images Attached Images Today's flea market find 

Nice find. I really like it. I could be wrong, but the writing inside reminds me very much of letters and figures I have seen in or on French items. Could this have been issued to the French army perhaps? Just my initial impressions. Cheers

I was browsing some threads yesterday and i came across this one
    Various helmets

where Adrian stated that #8 helmet is "Post war French tankers helmet. Inspired by the US M1938 tankers helmet." i dont know if this one is the same but
    when i first saw #8 helmet i thought that it was a US one i will follow this thread to see if it is US or FR helmet

MAP
    ?

Not 100% sure but I think Spalding and Rawlings were the only US manufacturers. These were stamped on the leather

Regards

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thx GreekMilitaria for the information, interesting thread by the way.
    But I'm close to 100 % sure it's an American one because of the maker's stamp mark. It's marked with a big F inside of the helmet which stands for the Firestone tire and rubber company based in Ohio USA.

That's what I thought too MAP. I thought that the M1938 helmets were manufactured by Spalding & Rawling, but if I'm not mistaken I think they produced them from mid to late war?
    And the early M38s were produced by Firestone tire company. Or at least the shell was . possibly the markings of the helmet are worn off?
    Regards, AJ

Example of a WW2 US M1 liner Firestone manufactured helmet liner
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Today's flea market find