Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Triangle insignia on Canadian MkII

Article about: Hello gents; I did my homeworks, but with no effort... Anyone could please tell me the meaning of this yellow triangle? It is painted on a 1941 CL/C helmet.

Default Triangle insignia on Canadian MkII

Hello gents; I did my homeworks, but with no effort...
    Anyone could please tell me the meaning of this yellow triangle? It is painted on a 1941 CL/C helmet.
    Attached Images Attached Images Triangle insignia on Canadian MkII 

?

Default Triangle sign

Coloured triangles were often used to represent the enemy "Fantasians" in post-war War Games. I have examples in red and white. This is the first yellow one I have seen. Usually they are found on M1s but are not unknown on Mk.IIs.

Triangle insignia on Canadian MkIITriangle insignia on Canadian MkIITriangle insignia on Canadian MkII

Roger

Hi Roger, and thanks for your input. This MkII bears a WWII RCAF service number (R + 5 numbers), and seems to have the original, early war time brown paint, instead of the post war glossy green...

I have one too, I have had it for years and it was found in Germany, I also could not find any photographic evidence of it being used on the field, it has also an RCAF service number R/30830.
    I can relate to Roger's reply, and I don't know if the info of the helmet coming from Germany is of any help.
    I also tried researching the service number with no success, any help?
    Thanks
    PaoloZ
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Triangle insignia on Canadian MkII   Triangle insignia on Canadian MkII  

Hi Paolo; your helmet is the twin of mine (just arrived), but It comes from France.
    It bears also the name of the former owner (Maish).
    So, both have the RCAF connection, with the same flash...
    Any other suggestion? (Mark?)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Triangle insignia on Canadian MkII   Triangle insignia on Canadian MkII  

Triangle insignia on Canadian MkII   Triangle insignia on Canadian MkII  

Hi Ziomanno, well, at least there's two with the same RCAF connection.
    Further to the answer of Roger V. Lucy I don't think there is going to be any more light shedded on the meaning of these yellow triangles. And after all I am quite happy with his answer which was one of the ideas I have had too. Yellow was probably an assigned colour specific to RCAF post war training war games?
    It would be interesting to find a period picture, if anybody has or find one..... I will also do my researches.

Hi Paolo; this could be an explanation, but the outer paint is WWII production, while the MkII's used postwar have been re painted in glossy green.
    I've already seen this yellow triangle also on a British MkII sold via ebay, but unfortunately I didn't save the pics.

Just wondering if there’s any updates to this thread from a couple years back! I too came across a yellow triangle flashed helmet today and my searches have turned up nothing!